Pot calling the kettle - black?

Diemmess 11:56 06 Apr 2009

I have no interest in horse racing but I do watch the Grand National.

I was nearly as shocked as winner jockey Liam, when out of the blue Claire Balwin made a totally irrelevant comment about the appearance of his teeth!
click here
If only he could have retaliated with a suggestion that she should have liposuction, it would have been quite a "fun" interview.
As it was her crass remark spoiled that moment for him.

GANDALF <|:-)> 12:19 06 Apr 2009

For someone who fell out of the ugly tree at birth and hit every branch on the way down, I fell that CB is treading on pretty shaky ground.

G

lofty29 12:27 06 Apr 2009

Just shows the level of people the BBC employ these days she fits in well with the likes of ross and brand.

Forum Editor 18:47 06 Apr 2009

from someone who isn't known for her lack of tact - totally out of character. I can only assume that Claire had a momentary tact failure. I hope she apologised privately and profusely.

Forum Editor 00:02 07 Apr 2009

and so has the BBC. Unfortunately Claire did it via a text message, which strikes me as rather cowardly.

Stuartli 00:41 07 Apr 2009

What is all the more puzzling is that Claire is one of the most professional and competent presenters employed by the BBC.

Which makes lofty29's comment all the more reason to despair for its lack of foundation for such an allegation.

Forum Editor 01:16 07 Apr 2009

That's rather a silly thing to say.

Clare is a thoroughly professional, and widely respected sports journalist. She was a prominent amateur flat-racing jockey in the late 1980's, and was Champion lady rider in 1990. In 1992 she was President of the Cambridge Union Society.

In 2003 she was voted 'Sports presenter of the year' and won the 'Racing journalist of the year' award. She subsequently won the award for 'Racing broadcaster of the year'.

Her momentary lapse at the Grand National was quite out of character, and not a justification for your comment.

Stuartli 14:38 07 Apr 2009

She's also the daughter of one of our best known racing trainers, hence her involvement from an early age with the world of horses.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?