Postal Wonders Still Happen

Chegs ®™ 01:53 03 Jan 2009

I was just reading an old (week or two) newspaper when I came upon an article that I can scarcely believe.A christmas card made it through the postal system in time for christmas when its addressing is not only vague but also wrong!

The card was addressed...

Going into the village with church on right detached house on left past church.

Just before old post house and farm where you can buy milk on main road

I think house may have a name? Before row of houses.

Been there but don't actually know the address.

(village name)

Nr Carlisle

Up North

The sender went on to say:If this gets to destination it will be another good job done by the mail persons.Thank you.

It was posted in Rushden,Northamptonshire.

The sender visited the house in 2006,and the woman it was "addressed"to says she doesnt live just before the old post house its a police house and the row of houses could be anywhere.

I find it incredible this card reached its destination yet my mail is often delivered to the wrong house & occasionally the wrong estate when its even got the postcode on it. :)

jack 08:51 03 Jan 2009

-not only post - goes titsup- simply because users of systems simply hit buttons without a thought- and systems are imperfect.
Switch on the little Grey cells- and things go right.
You wrote
'I find it incredible this card reached its destination yet my mail is often delivered to the wrong house & occasionally the wrong estate when its even got the postcode on it. :)'

Cymro. 10:36 03 Jan 2009

I suspect that some postal worker or other was just bored with his job and so found this Christmas card as something of a challenge. There was no need for the card to go directly to its destination just as long as someone sent it on its way. Once It got say withing a few miles of the village there was always a good chance that some posty or other would recognise the description of the place and so deliver it.

As for our usual mail not being delivered correctly I suppose the opposite of the above would apply and that boredom would also play a part. It must be very tempting for someone who handles millions of letters a day to just loose interest and so not bother to do the job as it should be done.

Diemmess 15:30 03 Jan 2009

Wartime Christmas 1943
Aunt sent a family parcel from London clearly addressed to Wellington Shrops.
It arrived about April'44 having been sent to Wellington N.Z. first!

Condom 17:20 03 Jan 2009

Being bored a couple of years ago I joined the Royal Mail for some Xmas work and ended up working the night shift.

One or two of our night managers were so knowledgeable about the whole area it was spookie. I saw a few similar addressed envelopes quite easily identified by these people from their memory.

jack 19:44 03 Jan 2009

disinterest I suspect is as follows

A moth or so ago I sent a pcket of documents to a cntral london address by recorded delivery.

A few days later I tried to track it.
The bWeb page could not trace the package.
Nor could the call centre operator.
She said - download a claim form.
Well that didn't work either, so I went to the Office it was sent from obtained a form and sent it of and got in return a book of 1st class stamps as compensation
Meanwhile I did my own Sherlock Holmes bit.
The intended recipient- had no record of receiving it either- not surprising - but this enterprising you lady said hang on a moment, and shortly came back to say she had found the package and gave me the name of the official handling the case.So it seems that if one individual fails to implement a procedure - for what ever reason- the
item will disappear off the radar completely

dagnammit 14:26 04 Jan 2009

is just a normal letter, except at the very end*, the postie pulls off a barcode from the red&orange sticker and gets a signature. Upon returning to the office the barcode is handed over and uploaded to the system usually the next day.

What might have happened is that the sticker may have got peeled off your letter or the postie didn't see the barcode and just delivered it, without getting a signature, as normal mail.

*very end - this means that your letter is not tracked through the mail system like special delivery.

jack 14:34 04 Jan 2009

That large quantities of mail - possibly van loads go to this particular office and yes your explanation would suggest it would be possibly too much to deal with individual packets in this way.

dagnammit 14:59 04 Jan 2009

I used to be a postman in a previous life... was a foot postie for about a year on a temporary contract.

interzone55 18:08 04 Jan 2009

When I was at school I was doing a project on the space shuttle, so I thought I'd write to NASA to get some info.

Didn't know the address so simply wrote NASA on the envelope and sent it on it's way with only a first class stamp on it.

A couple of weeks later a fat A4 package arrived at my house, it weighed a couple of pounds and had detailed plans of the space shuttle and loads of photos from outer space.

My project got top marks by the way, although I did have some help from the designers of the craft...

Chegs ®™ 20:43 06 Jan 2009

Seems that Postal Wonders do happen quite regularly.Any more want to post their wonders?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Comment afficher des fichiers cachés sur Mac ?