Postal Service

carver 09:26 07 May 2009

I've always been a firm believer in keeping the postal service out of private hands but after this I'm not too sure.

I had to send a Graphic card back for replacement under an RMA to Germany a few weeks ago and because of the Easter Hols decided to wait until after that, thought plenty of time, no need to hurry.

Sent the card on the 20th April, it took 10 days to arrive, not including weekends.

It arrived 1 day before the RMA ran out, how can a firm like Parcel Force expect to survive if they can't even deliver a parcel in a reasonable time.

The return was by DHL, time taken to come from Germany to my address in England, 3 days.

No wonder they are in trouble.

john bunyan 09:59 07 May 2009

I foolishly sent a set of car seat covers back for further work using ordinary parcel force (not special delivery). They were packed very securely. They have been lost and I have lost a lot of money.They cannot trace unless using special delivery. I agree with you.

tullie 10:03 07 May 2009

Was it the postal service or by courier?No doubt it changes hands a couple of times before getting there?

sunnystaines 10:09 07 May 2009

the postal service round here is so dreadful they need to improve it or sell it. Often mail sent to me never arrives, a parcel I posted a few weeks ago went missing too.

years ago the GPO was reliable now its not reliable so I can see why the Govt wants it privatised.

john bunyan 10:48 07 May 2009

Parcel Service. Label laminated and stuck on with glue gun. Letter enclosed with sender and addressee, in heavy guage polythene and a heavy duty polypropylene sack, stapled and taped.I am suspicious it has been nicked, it was so well wrapped. I wish they would routinely charge enough to trace stuff - I am furious!!I went to local sort office, destination sort office won't answer phone, complaints offce said I ought to have registered it ... etc, etc

Pine Man 11:14 07 May 2009

The postal service in my area is great.

Home deliveries six mornings a week at about 08:30 on Saturdays and about 10:30 during the rest of the week.

The same postman delivers most days and is very helpful.

We have a small post office/paper shop within a five minute walk where I am able to send parcels/packets six days a week and, so far, everything I have sent has arrived - intact!

I would be surprised if I got this sort of service following privatisation.

carver 11:57 07 May 2009

Up to about 2 years ago we had a very reliable service, post before 9AM 6 days a week, now it's any time between 8AM and 4.30PM, letters have gone missing, post has been delivered by neighbours, but this last item I sent was by Parcel Force and supposed to be by Air Mail.

It arrived intact, but count the weekends and it took 12 days to arrive at it's destination, if I was running a business and that happened I would soon lose customers.

ccjjl82 20:47 11 May 2009

The postal service does need a shake up. A parcel got sent next day delivery, they lost it for nearly 3 weeks and then sent it back to sender. I sent a letter 2 weeks ago signed for, its still at my local depo waiting to be sent!
Privatising it is not the way to go. It will be mega expensive, prices will shoot up because the business will become greedy. Look what has happened after the fuel firms privatised? Pensioners cant afford to keep warm!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?