Post code enquiry

Blackhat 11:42 01 Dec 2007

I dare say most of us have tried our names in google from time to time but I just tried my exact post code. I live in a mid terrace house on a residential street but according to some of the links in google I am also a French restaurant, an internet dating service and a WiFi hot spot! Strange, I hadn’t noticed.

I am aware that a single post code can cover a number of properties but these are also my property number.

What does yours reveal?

wiz-king 12:05 01 Dec 2007

"a WiFi hot spot" have you checked your router lately?
*Grin*

Forum Editor 12:10 01 Dec 2007

It will not include any extraneous information - just the addresses which share a code.

click here

Blackhat 12:11 01 Dec 2007

I dont have a router! I dont do French cooking and I think the wife might have noticed if I ran a dating service.

Blackhat 12:19 01 Dec 2007

Thanks FE, I use that service most days in the office and I am aware that 4 residential properties share my post code. Its whats listed on google that I find curious, I know there are typo's but is there more to it? Is there any reason why a business might wish to use a residential post code, and why mine?

octal 12:23 01 Dec 2007

I've just typed my post code in and it's surprising what you learn about your neighbours, what an eye opener!

pj123 13:03 01 Dec 2007

I've just typed in my Post Code and... nothing!

laurie53 19:13 01 Dec 2007

How peculiar. It lists the local bowling club, but there are at least half a dozen houses, spaced over a quarter of a mile, with different post codes, between me and the bowls club.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?