The Pope calls for peace

Quickbeam 08:33 02 Jan 2014

in his New Year message.

I can't but help think how unoriginal that is, yet it still gets reported around the world like it's just been thought of!

fourm member 13:01 02 Jan 2014

I suppose we should be thankful that the press got it right because he did say that. If they'd applied their Romanian immigrants' approach they'd have reported that he demanded all out war.

It's a 'damned if you do...' situation. Any media outlet not reporting all of the non-news regular events (new year message from everyone, Queen's Christmas message, people watching fireworks going off, etc, etc) would be accused of some sort of bias.

Aitchbee 13:12 02 Jan 2014

If they'd applied their Romanian immigrants' approach they'd have reported that he demanded all out war.

You have lost me there, fm. [first for a while]

fourm member 13:32 02 Jan 2014

Aitchbee

The media has been reporting lies about what effect the changes in rules for Romania and Bulgaria will have.

They've just made up stories to suit themselves. They might have done the same with what the pope had to say.

Aitchbee 13:49 02 Jan 2014

Thanks for clearing that up fm.

BTW, Glasgow [southside] has many hundreds of Romanian and Bulgarian immigrants .. the more the merrier, I reckon!

Aitchbee 14:09 02 Jan 2014

Roman Catholics, all-over-the-world [as part of the Holy Mass ceremony], are invited to " Offer each other the sign of peace. " by the celebrant ... usually a priest saying the mass ... the members of the congregration speak the words ' Peace be with you ' or something similar to people sitting or standing nearby them ... it's a feel-good moment!!

If only this ritual could be extended and realized on a world-wide scale.

Who knows, the 'hands-on', down-to-earth-Pontiff [Pope Francis] might get lucky, one of these days!

Global Peace ... now there's a thought ... it can be done! :o)

Woolwell 14:52 02 Jan 2014

Aitchbee - Most, if not all, Christian denominations offer the sign of the peace. It is not exclusive to RC's.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:01 02 Jan 2014

Possibly better than calling for a holy war.

Sorry just being cynical in my old age.

Forum Editor 16:03 02 Jan 2014

Each time I hear this I can't help thinking that,given its past, the leader of the Catholic church is the last person to be issuing calls for peace.

wee eddie 16:09 02 Jan 2014

The Catholic Church should be asking us for forgiveness of its sins before it starts on anything else. The C of E, Methodists and assorted free Churches could well line up behind and do the same.

Apart from some beautiful Music and Buildings, this world would be a better place if all religions disappeared.

Woolwell 16:24 02 Jan 2014

wee eddie - Your post ignores all the good the religions do which is mainly not reported.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?