Poor police response ends in death

birdface 12:50 09 May 2009

A cry for help and no Police action.A very sad case with a terrible outcome.
click here

oresome 16:16 09 May 2009

It's quite remarkable how thinly spread officer on the beat can be.

My daughter works for a housing association and the local beat officers were invited to a residents meeting the other night. The two officers duly attended to listen to tenants concerns. They confided to my daughter that they were the only two officers on patrol in that area, a run down suburb of a major city.

No wonder then that calls are prioritised and mistakes sometimes made in allocating a scarce resource.

birdface 17:19 09 May 2009

It is hard to think that because of their slow response 3 children no longer have a mother to look after them.
I find it a rather distressing thing to have happen and off course we will not know what went wrong until the inquest as to why the Police never appeared until it was to late.
Maybe it was not classed as an emergency only time will tell.
Still it is all very sad to think it could have been prevented.

newman35 17:44 09 May 2009

"Still it is all very sad to think it could have been prevented."

But if they had gone earlier it doesn't follow that the man would have been taken into custody on the woman's word of stalking.
He could well have returned at any time, unless a permanent 24 hr guard was in place.

Diemmess 17:56 09 May 2009

In 1954 when I moved to the small town where I lived for most of my working life there was a police station, a desk sergeant and prison cells and magistrates court.
Also a Divisional Superintendant, uniformed Chief Inspector, Detective C.I. and all their minions. It was open 24hrs and had a black Humber Hawk with a bell for road matters, though others could be called in.

None of these are present any more in a town which has more than doubled its size in 50 years.
The exception is a part time police station manned by civilians.

At that long ago time, the mantra was preservation of life, prevention of crime and detection of crime in that order.

It seems to me that police react to trouble rather than act at the first opportunity to avoid situations that are now commonplace.

All we ever see either in that town or my nearby village are CSOs except when a drugs bust occurs which will strip most of the force from a large part of the county.

Cases where my family was involved

Burglary - Car and garage tools taken 15 years ago. A Crime number issued, A PC visited, then silence except for an offer of Counselling!

Later Son's business raided, generator taken. No visit, just a crime number.

Quite recently.
Next door business to my son, - gowns and beauty parlour entered, huge amount of stock taken.
No enquiry made of son to see if he or his staff had any information.

What has changed over this period?
Deserved pay increases while budget decreased in actual terms, so reduced numbers.
Road usage trebled with huge cost of every other forensic gizmo.

Magistrates Court and cells for the arrested to the County town so two police must take a car a 40 mile round trip to lock up a suspect.
If a court appearance follows all witnesses now have to travel the same distance amid a welter of paperwork.

Is it any wonder that often quite serious offences are just shelved.

Forum Editor 19:46 09 May 2009

this sounds like a classic case of "If I can't have you then nobody else will", and there may well be aspects of the case about which we know nothing. As usual, I advise caution when making judgments about events.

birdface 20:02 09 May 2009

[But if they had gone earlier it doesn't follow that the man would have been taken into custody on the woman's word of stalking.
He could well have returned at any time, unless a permanent 24 hr guard was in place.]
We will never know now.

You have to think if this had happened to your daughter or one of the family I don't think for one minute an excuse like that would go down very well. Maybe if things had been different and they had turned up things may have turned out better.

We can only hope that nothing like this ever happens again.

birdface 20:36 09 May 2009

[I advise caution when making judgments about events.]
It is hard not to make a judgment but of course you are correct as always, There may have been a number of reasons why they did not call but we will find out eventually.
Obviously it was not treated as an emergency but I would have thought that they would have given it a High priority rating at least.

It just looks like a tragedy that could have been avoided.

Forum Editor 23:39 09 May 2009

but that's not really the point. This one may have been avoidable, but we don't know enough to say one way or the other. it's undeniably a tragedy, as all murders are, and it's certain that the victim was sufficiently concerned to call the police for help. That the help wasn't forthcoming until it was too late is also undeniable, and the purpose of the IPCC inquiry will be to discover why police still had not responded almost nine hours later, when the victim's body was found.

It's reasonable to think that a frightened woman calling for help would be a priority as far as police are concerned, and I'm having a problem trying to imagine why this particular call didn't get an urgent response. There must be a reason, and of course it could be the most obvious one of all - that someone simply forgot about it, or was distracted by something else. No doubt in time we'll find out.

newman35 08:07 10 May 2009

Please understand, I was not making excuses about the happening - I was simply replying to the fact you said "...it could have been prevented."

I opined that it was not necessarily so, and gave my reasons why.

Everyone is saddened by such cases, but nobody can say it could have been prevented without a 24 hr guard. Even a temporary custodial sentence would mean it might have happened later - we can all make suppositions - but for you to say, definitively, that it could have been prevented (as opposed to delayed) if the police had called earlier is wishful thinking.

birdface 10:56 10 May 2009

I was just trying to put myself in Marys family position and no doubt like the rest of us they were asking Why.
They will have to wait like everyone else for the full report on the reason why there was no response from the police.
[if the police had called earlier is wishful thinking].
Maybe so but when we are in trouble we phone them and expect them help.In this case the help never arrived until it was to late.
We cannot put the clock back but maybe they can stop this tragedy from happening in the future.

I am sorry if I did not agree with your views but without different views there probably would be no Forum.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?