Pond Hoovers

numskull 12:03 20 Jun 2009

Are they any good? Any recommendations?
I've read mixed reviews as to whether they should be used. Work colleague says they are not very good.

Quickbeam 12:05 20 Jun 2009

I use a carpet beater in mine.

Sorry, it's thundery again...

Forum Editor 12:17 20 Jun 2009

is to forget the idea.

In over twenty five years of pond-keeping I have never found them to be of any use at all. A natural pond shouldn't need that kind of attention.

Once every five years or so I do a bit of dredging, but that's all, and the pond looks a picture, full of life, and perfectly healthy. Good filtration is enough.

QuizMan 13:03 20 Jun 2009

I agree with FE. You would be better off buying a water testing kit and checking its health every so often. Providing the water quality is good and fish, if any, are OK leave well alone.

wiz-king 14:20 20 Jun 2009

The waterlift type that allow the water back into the pond only filter out bigger lumps of dirt, the fine silt goes back into the pond - you could extern the tube to pump all the sediment onto the garden but it stinks. The electric 'hoovers' will suck up the sediment but they are a pain in the back to empty every few minutes.
I get in the pond with a scoop or small fire grate shovel and bucket out the muck. I also split up the plants and waterlilies while I am in the pond. Then turn the pump flow up when I have finished and remove my fine filter just leaving the foam filter and settling tank in for a few days then clean out the filter and tank and set the flow back to normal.

Forum Editor 18:41 20 Jun 2009

If you contemplate getting into a garden pond, make sure that you turn off any submersible pumps or fountains first.

Many people have been electrocuted when standing in ponds, so please don't take a chance.

TopCat® 19:06 20 Jun 2009

circuits should include a quality RCD (residual current device) as well. The same precaution applies for handheld and garden power tools. TC.

Quickbeam 07:47 21 Jun 2009

Yes, I can be...

In the spring and autumn I give the bottom gravel a good raking up with my hands. This brings a lot of the dirt into solution and goes through the filter system where it stays until the filter gets cleaned. I do this about every day for a week and use a small net the lift out any bigger debris like sunken leaves and twigs.

Initially the murky water will be reasonably clear within the hour. After the week is up, the water is crystal clear. I've never done a full water change and gravel wash as some do, and the fish have always been very healthy and lively.

When that procedure has been done, I clean the filter out, but don't clean the bio media bits too well, I just rinse the bulk of the thick fish sludge/crap off and put them back in.

Forum Editor 09:12 21 Jun 2009

that's full of life - Damselflies,water boatmen,newts, etc.,etc. You don't want to be removing too much debris. It provides a habitat for all kinds of pond life.

I rarely remove debris from the bottom of my pond, and the water is crystal-clear. It also teems with life, and the fish are as healthy as could be. Real, natural ponds aren't cleaned by anybody, and the water isn't filtered mechanically. We need to filter the water because garden ponds are usually too small to allow a natural bio-system to establish and maintain itself - our fish need some technology to keep them happy. The bigger a pond gets the easier it is to maintain; something worth remembering when constructing.

Quickbeam 09:24 21 Jun 2009

I always thought that rotting leaves weren't good for fish?

I have been contemplating making mine bigger this summer, but so as not to get carried away, I'll dig it out by hand as opposed to the way I'd like to do it click here

numskull 09:39 21 Jun 2009

Thanks for all your responses it has saved me some money. I was making the mistake of switching off the fountain pump at night until I was told to leave it on 24/7. Water does seem to be clearer since leaving pump on but there is still a green, powdery sediment on the sides and bottom of the pond. Fish seem to be happy enough.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

This is what design agencies will look like in 2032

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache