Pond filters

Quickbeam 09:30 27 Apr 2009

Is anyone using the Laguna pressure filter system?

I'm thinking about replacing the no pressure open tank filter that's inside the garage wall with one of these click here outside flush to the ground.

I've used a Hozelock pressure filter in the past but found that it blocks up to easily and needs cleaning every couple of days which is a pain. I want to know if the Laguna easy clean & flush claim really is 'easy & quick'.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:46 27 Apr 2009

I have a similar device with 5 foam elements, needs stripping and cleaning about 3 times a year,"a loverly job".

Quickbeam 12:48 27 Apr 2009

Thanks Fruit Bat /\0/\ i didn't want to buy one and find I still have to clean the foam filters out even once a week.

Forum Editor 18:30 27 Apr 2009

and clean them once every couple of months in the summer, and once or twice during the winter.

Be careful with the water diverter switch - it has a tendency to break off in your hand in very cold weather.

Quickbeam 18:55 27 Apr 2009

That's my Bank Holiday job now, renewing the filtration and making a higher waterfall. Sod trying to get to the seaside.

Quickbeam 20:10 01 May 2009

I got the bigger filter with the bio bits in the bottom and it's just clearing up nicely from the disturbance. The blackbirds were waiting on the garage roof all afternoon as if to say 'get a move on, it's bath time', the fish seem livelier and the toads have reappeared, from where I know not.

I'm now going to enjoy a Glenmorangie at the side of the new stream. I named it 'The Glen of Tranquillity when I first built it, so Glenmorangie it must be while I wait to find out if Brumas is going to post a card from somewhere I know for a change;)

Quickbeam 08:37 05 May 2009

I'm getting quite a bit of froth on the pond surface for the first hour or so in the morning (it's controlled through a central heating timer switch).

Is this until the filter becomes 'live' with the biological media and foam elements being new, or can it be the UV killing of the micro algae? The water went green over a month as the old UV failed and the old filter box was leaking in the garage, which is why I renewed with an outdoor one.

Quickbeam 08:55 05 May 2009

I should add that it's not a bubble bath level of foam, it's a single layer of bubbles on the surface that gives the impression of foaming. When I put the flaked food in, it seems to break the surface tension enough for the bubbles to disperse for the day.

I could leave it on all the time until the filter becomes fully live I suppose, but I want to know why it does it:(

skeletal 09:25 05 May 2009

I often see foam around this time of year when there is a lot of frog spawn in the pond. Not so much this year as there has been far fewer frogs.

Just a thought.

Skeletal

Quickbeam 11:59 05 May 2009

I've got toads, it could be them as I've had quite a lot of toad spawn that the fish quickly ate.

skeletal 12:28 05 May 2009

I’d love toads...I’ve never even seen one! But I do have newts...and herons that are a real nuisance in our area. Our near neighbour lost 15 fish to one the other day.

Skeletal

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?