Poll: Extended support for Windows XP runs out on 8th April 2014. What do you regard as the biggest issue for those still running XP after this date?

PC Advisor 11:32 04 Mar 2014

Extended support for Windows XP runs out on 8th April 2014. What do you regard as the biggest issue for those still running XP after this date?

Let us know in our poll.

Poll: Extended support for Windows XP runs out on 8th April 2014. What do you regard as the biggest issue for those still running XP after this date?

Aitchbee 11:52 04 Mar 2014

It's not on the poll's 'Lack List' but ' the lack of money to buy a shiny new computer' would be on the top of my list!

Aitchbee 12:05 04 Mar 2014

MechKB, third party hardware support is referring to the various driver updates for XP, which big companies [like Dell], provide for free on their website support section, for the different components in one's XP PC.

PS. Many people with old XP computers will probably install 'Linux Lite' as a complete replacement for windows XP ... I've been told it's quite good.

Quickbeam 12:59 04 Mar 2014

I just gave my Samsung netbook on XP to my sister in Blairgowrie. She made the comment when I told her that it won't be much good for too long, that the world travels slower in the highlands so it will now take longer to become obsolete!

You can't argue with that way of thinking...

wiz-king 13:08 04 Mar 2014

Finding a use for all the time saved not waiting for the updates to load.

geoff96 13:52 04 Mar 2014

None of the above.

Have had microsoft updates switched off since upgrading to SP3. Will not be installing any more hardware, so no need for nay more drivers. Use a free AV which auto updates. Use Crap cleaner. Not had a malicious threat on the machine since installing SP3 or before that.

So not bothered, will run machine till it drops.

"This poll has been sponsored by Dell "

could it be scare tactics from Dell to sell a few more machines?

Mr Mistoffelees 14:20 04 Mar 2014

I know many do not agree with me but, I cannot see the point of steadfastly refusing to upgrade from a more than 12 year old operating system. I missed-out Vista then installed 7, on my old PC first, about 2 1/2 years ago and run 7 on my current machine. Windows 7 is, by far, the most stable operating system I have ever used. I will likely move on to Windows 9, or whatever the next major update is called, when I do my next major system rebuild.

wiz-king 15:04 04 Mar 2014

Will have to move to China where updates will still be available.

Matt Egan 16:18 04 Mar 2014

I voted for lack of security updates, because it is a problem. A problem created by Microsoft's withdrawal of support, but a problem none the less. I wrote a piece about it: What XP users should do when Microsoft ends support.

For the record, Dell have sponsored this poll as part of a much bigger campaign that is - let's be honest - aimed at shifting Dell PCs and laptops. But I don't think you should see anything sinister in it. The question is valid.

kad292 17:11 04 Mar 2014

If Dell are supporting this poll for information purposes then maybe they could take over the 'updates' from M$ and keep the O.S operating for those who wish to retain it,obviously at a price.

N47. 20:47 04 Mar 2014

kad292

Now that is funny. :-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?