Politics

S5W 19:17 25 Apr 2009

Heath, Callaghan, Major and now Brown. As another Government accelerates into oblivion my general contempt for politicians is tempered by pity; many of the present lobby fodder probably entered politics to 'do some good',they all end up as failures because modern British governments have little power and even less imagination. Not since Palmerston and Disraeli have we been governed by statesmen. The sooner we coalesce and join a single European government the better for our descendants.
Good evening.

Mr Mistoffelees 19:23 25 Apr 2009

"The sooner we coalesce and join a single European government the better for our descendants."

If you ever get into a position of power, suficient to push through such a policy, I am going to leave the country and will be glad I don't have descendants.

beeuuem 22:40 25 Apr 2009

"The sooner we coalesce and join a single European government the better for our descendants."
If British governments "have little power and even less imagination" then who is behind all the rules , regulations and laws that are making our lives so rewarding and carefree?

Forum Editor 23:13 25 Apr 2009

and join a single European government the better for our descendants."

What rubbish.

European politicians are no different to any other politicians.

The democracy that you and all of us enjoy today was created by the politicians you hold in general contempt, and if you think that 'statesmen' governed us in the past you have an awful lot to learn about history.

birdface 00:17 26 Apr 2009

This was sent to me to-night could it actually be true or just more spam.

This is unbelievable, but true!

Can you imagine working for a company that has a little
more than 600 employees and has the following employee
statistics .

29 have been accused of
spouse abuse

7 have been arrested for
fraud

9 have been accused of
writing bad cheque's

17 have directly or
indirectly bankrupted at least 2 businesses

3 have done time for assault

71 cannot get a credit card
due to bad credit

14 have been arrested on
drug-related charges

8 have been arrested for
shoplifting

21 are currently defendants
in lawsuits

84 have been arrested for
drink driving in the last year

Which organisation is this ?

It's the 635 members of the House of Commons, the same
group that cranks out hundreds of new laws each year
designed to keep the rest of us inline.

What a bunch of ******** we have running our country - it
says it all. And just to top all that they probably have the
best 'corporate'
Pension scheme in the
country!!

laurie53 07:10 26 Apr 2009

Well, we voted them in, so if we don't like it we should vote them out, but don't hold your breath.

These are our chosen people.

Forum Editor 08:50 26 Apr 2009

an electorate gets the government it deserves. It certainly gets the government it elected - at least it does in a democracy.

I imagine that if you took any group of 600 people you might get results very similar to these, and of course some of the figures are misleading - the 21 people defending lawsuits might include those who have been accused of spouse abuse, for instance.

Lists of 'statistics' like this might provide amusement for some, but as a means of making value judgements they are quite meaningless.

Quickbeam 09:02 26 Apr 2009

I lost all interest in voting after the disappointment of the '97 New Labour Government.

That was to be the government to end all divisions in society, all injustices, all corruption in public office. Oh, not forgetting the government to end boom & bust... yeah, yeah, yeah.

This next election is likely to be the 3rd that I will spoil the ballot paper in, unless something radical happens as regards what's on offer.

S5W 15:40 26 Apr 2009

Forum Editor, the final paragraph of your post bears out my point that today's leaders are a poor shadow of many 18th and 19th century politicians,the majority men who had a sense of destiny for their country. Such Members of Parliament are now few, we can argue the reasons for this state of affairs but we would not have the democracy we have if today's politicians had formed our laws and freedoms.
"European politicians are no different to any other politicians." Yes I agree but a government of Europe would have a larger pool of people to draw on, Britain seems to be starved of politicians with vision.
History can teach us a great deal and yes I am still learning.

spuds 16:14 26 Apr 2009

At the last local election, the actual candidate for the area ran down our drive and posted in the door, a pre-printed card which stated 'Sorry you was out when I called', he then ran back up the drive and continued doing the same at all of the neighbours properties.

Funny really, because most of the neighbours plus myself saw him do it, because we were all at home.

Now thats a politician that you want, whose good at conveying a message ;o)

Seriously though, I have never seen a government or politician who as really considered the electorates want and wishes, no matter what or where the country.

Forum Editor 18:28 26 Apr 2009

of many 18th and 19th century politicians,the majority men who had a sense of destiny for their country."

Are you sure?

A brief study of the history of politics is all you need to discover that in fact political corruption and self-interest was alive and well in this country during those centuries, and some of the things that went on would make today's peccadilloes seem insignificant by comparison.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?