Political correctness... again

Quickbeam 09:02 27 Jan 2010

click here- Make what you will of it, I'm taking the dog for a walk...

oldbeefer2 09:18 27 Jan 2010

Not April the first yet, is it? I'm taking the dogz out too.

nangadef 09:20 27 Jan 2010

PC has created it's own fear facture.

rickf 10:24 27 Jan 2010

This country has gone bonkus!!!

jack 10:31 27 Jan 2010

But I notrice it is the Daily Express- that rag is worse the the Dail Mail for non stories- I am sure most are pure inventions or gross misrepresentations.
I no longer buy daily comics - though I do catch sight of them at places I visit.

oldbeefer2 11:37 27 Jan 2010

It's in the Telegraph as well.

Input Overload 12:17 27 Jan 2010

i suppose your CV must now say you are unreliable too.

interzone55 12:20 27 Jan 2010

"It's in the Telegraph as well."

I'm afraid the Telegraph is just a broadsheet version of the Daily Mail these days.

Whenever people say Political Correctness or Health & Safety please replace these terms with

"We're afraid we may get sued. There's no basis in law for this, and nobody as even tried to sue, but the mere possibility of a threat of legal action has us dashing for the toilet, so just to be on the safe side we'll ban it"

skeletal 12:29 27 Jan 2010

Given the countless utterly stupid “PC” things we hear about these days, this particular story is easily believable. However, something that occurs to me is why would you actually put this requirement into an advert?

Would anyone, at an interview, admit they were unreliable and expect to get any job whether or not this requirement was stated in an advert?

This would also apply to “must be honest” and “must be hard working”.

“Well Mr. Bloggs, how would you describe yourself?” “Well, I’m a thief who steals from employers and I rarely turn up for work as I’m always drunk from the night before.”

Perhaps I’m out of touch with modern interviews...

Skeletal

Mr Mistoffelees 12:35 27 Jan 2010

Read the story all the way through and it is clear that this was not a result of Department for Work and Pensions policy, but rather one person being a bit stupid.

Colin 12:44 27 Jan 2010

"Last night a spokeswoman for the Department for Work and Pensions said she could not comment on Ms Mamo’s phone call. But she said adverts for “reliable applicants” had not been banned and the advert had now been posted online.
She said: “I can confirm that we took the advert from the employer and put it onto our website."

As Mr Mistoffelees said above, there is no story. If I got a member of a Job Centre to tell me that the moon is made of cheese, would that make it true?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017