Polite request

dagbladet 11:10 07 Feb 2008

It seems to becoming more common that a thread is titled with something along the lines of "what about this", or "wouldn't mind one of these". Once inside the thread there is little more than a 'click here'. For the benefit of those of us with various constraints on our machines, it would be nice if there was some kind of description. Not a moan, just a.....well I suppose it is really.

lisa02 11:12 07 Feb 2008

I agree, along with those those put up a tinyurl or shortlink without saying what it is.

Cymro. 13:20 07 Feb 2008

Most of the "click here" postings end up a disappointment anyway. So some clue would be useful.

dagbladet 13:20 07 Feb 2008

fm

The irony was not lost on me before I posted it, but I thought i'd let it run anyway.

sunny staines 13:56 07 Feb 2008

i tend not to read dumb headings.

anskyber 14:21 07 Feb 2008

You just have!

€dstowe 14:28 07 Feb 2008

I rarely read threads from dumb headings and almost never follow "click heres" unless I'm convinced it will lead somewhere instructive or useful - from previous experience, that is infrequent.

Earthsea 15:26 07 Feb 2008

You mean like this one? click here

anskyber 15:33 07 Feb 2008

I know I'm on dangerous ground here but I couldn't resist it. click here

€dstowe 15:46 07 Feb 2008

Even more rare than me clicking on lonely click heres is to click on those which, with a mouse hover, show a shortened link to somewhere.

In addition, having been infected once with a trojan download, I NEVER follow links to U-tube (and related) sites either.

anskyber 16:25 07 Feb 2008

I agree, I had in mind the "click here" which was a secondary concern for some posters above.

Incidentally, although many are unhappy with click here's it is a reasonable short hand rather than repeating much of what is in the link.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?