Police warn of burglary risk!

peter99co 16:13 27 Dec 2010

click here

Beggers belief that people can be so open with their information.

spuds 17:26 27 Dec 2010

Nothing like having intelligent parents blaming Facebook for their children's, and perhaps their own use of that service :O((

And as for a burglar-proof house. There's no such thing.

DANZIG 23:50 27 Dec 2010

So, when I go to work I should leave my car in the drive, have automatic curtains and have timeswitches on all my lights??

Houses were burgled before the advent of social networking you know!

If your house is going to be burgled I really don't think that whether you put 'XXXX is in the pub' as your status is going to make a blind bit of difference.

My house has been broken into, while I was in the pub 5 doors away. This was before I was on Facebook, Twitter etc. Burglars are generally the type who take opportunities - the unlocked door, the open window - those kind of things. Unless you're wealthy and famous - status updates and location based features aren't really going to make you more likely to be burgled.

In my opinion of course.

OTT_B 00:07 28 Dec 2010

The problem is not so much with the spur of the moment opportunists. It's the minority professional burglars who plan their raids that are the problem. Social Networking (and 'tools' like Streetview) have given a whole new way of finding a property to hit.

DANZIG 00:14 28 Dec 2010

Surely an easier way of planning a burglary would be to pick a house, watch it for a week or two to see what time people go to work, out to the pub etc etc.

Most people are pretty much creatures of habit, so it shouldn't be too hard to get a pattern of behaviour.

Its the fact that social networking is blamed for these crimes that annoys me.

On the other side of the coin, there are some people that I know that use the Facebook places App and tell the world when they're in bed!! (IE at home)

Madness!

Strawballs 00:34 28 Dec 2010

If they did get burgled because of what they put on there status it will make it easier for police to track theives rather than the fact it could be totally anybody it would have to be someone that can see their status even if it were 400 so called friends then surelly 400 will be easier than the total unknown?

rdave13 00:42 28 Dec 2010

Info put on these sites can be true and also a load of bunkum. If thieves read and believe such info on sites as Farcebook then good luck to them.

OTT_B 01:05 28 Dec 2010

"Surely an easier way of planning a burglary would be to pick a house, watch it for a week or two to see what time people go to work, out to the pub etc etc."

That's just the point; it's easier to keep an eye on Facebook and you know instantly, or with several weeks notice, that someone is away. No staking out required, and you have a potentially MASSIVE population to watch from the comfort of your sofa.

A lot of the problems come back to Facebook privacy settings and peoples 'random' friends. Those who have not locked down their privacy settings, or who are 'friends' with any passing stranger, are those who are most at risk. Don't get me wrong, the risk is minimal, but still apparent. But it only takes one person, and if thieves are actively using Facebook to acquire targets then surely prevention s better than the cure?

I don't blame Social Networking for the crimes. I blame the criminals, but why give a criminal the tools s/he needs to do the job?

Strawballs 01:22 28 Dec 2010

So what about people that cancel papers, tell work colleges that they are off abroad on holidays have glass front doors so that mail can be seen building up on the mat etc then those work colleges tell others in the pub about the lucky git that is going on dream holiday and are overheard by others etc the list goes on.

rdave13 01:26 28 Dec 2010

In a way I agree that the social networking sites aren't to be blamed for any burglary that will be, or has been, committed through information publicly announced through one of these farcebook type of sites.
Unfortunately the public consists of people unaware of the perils of INTERNET communications.
'Homer Simpson' syndrome or just naturally ,err, 'regardless of the possibility that it won't happen to them' syndrome.
People in 'higher' places have learnt this, though, haven't they?

rdave13 01:35 28 Dec 2010

' Cancelled papers'..?
Tell work colleagues that they are out of the country for a few weeks. Also noting that neighbours have kindly said they'll watch the property?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?