Police Overworked?

crosstrainer 09:39 19 Oct 2007

To the extent that...The other day, a "child" broke one pane of the double glazing in my kitchen window. I telephoned the police, as I strongly suspect (later confirmed by the fitter who came to measure for the repair) that the break was caused by an air weapon.

Now here is the incredible bit....I was given a DEDICATED incident number contact who simply gave me the reference for my insurance company, and stated bluntly that no officer would call to investigate the matter.

Fine....I live in a quiet residential area, but how long will it be before this person puts a childs eye out? Will the parents be given an incident number also?

anskyber 09:50 19 Oct 2007

It's about priorities, as they see it obviously.

There are some interesting final last areas of closed shop in terms of public services requiring reform. I am the first one to accept that the work of the police force is challenging and sometimes dangerous. The respect and importance given to the service has in my view clouded the real problem of long overdue reform.

At worst it displays a frightening reactionary face where even simple reforms are met with resistance. Various Home Secretaries have bottled on the issue.

I would hate to be a Policeman, I do not envy them at all, and the target driven environment in which they work is I am sure very demoralising and inefficient for the tasks they face. The feeling though of being an unchallengeable law unto themselves must be addressed by a Home Secretary, one day.

Quickbeam 09:53 19 Oct 2007

This is why public confidence for the Police is so low now. When an incident happens, people need to feel reassured that the matter will be followed through and investigated. They need to feel they have been listened to.

I think a lot of the figures that crime is on the way down can be explained by people not bothering to report crime at all, if they feel this is the only action done.

crosstrainer 09:59 19 Oct 2007

Now tick a box indicating the matter "resolved" Hopefully, it was a one off, but if somone is injured in a subsequent incident, a case would exist for inquiry.

I know that the police are busy, and like anskyber would not want the job myself....However, having a dedicated phone line to dish out incident numbers without any attempt at investigation is simply unsatisfactory to say the least.

spuds 13:11 19 Oct 2007

Write a letter to your chief constable and put your case to him/her for a reply. Also ask if you have dedicated PSCO's to your area, and what is their role.

A letter to the local newspaper also works wonders some times.

If the person responsible was reported carrying a firearm, then a armed response team should go into immediate action, and we all know what could/should apply through that action.

I was recently called upon and involved with an incident with an elderly lady who had fallen in her home, and was possibly injured. Phone call to police, informed no one available but given incident reference number. Phoned council who owned the property, and was authorised to make a forced entry, then report back to the council emergency team, so they could provide boarding/security service. That's the way the world is today, everyone is busy!.

Fortunately the lady had slipped out of her chair an hour earlier, and just couldn't get up of the floor, no real injury to body.She was more concerned about being a nuisance to people.

spuds 13:21 19 Oct 2007

Should have perhaps mentioned that the council emergency team arrived over three hours later, so as to 'temporary' safeguard the property. I eventually got home four hours later, due to lady being in a unsecured home on her own.

The council returned two days later to repair the broken glass panel in the door. Then they talk about protecting the vulnerable and the senior citizen.

VideoSentry 13:30 19 Oct 2007

I am a serving officer in the Met(26years) and even then the response depends on where you live,here ( Haringey ) an incident like that would have been passed to the Safer Nieghbourhoods Team -or as I was for a few years-Home Beat,and yes I did live on my beat.I agree the that the viewable response is not what it was!

crosstrainer 13:46 19 Oct 2007

Seen a community police officer anywhere near my home, let alone a police officer on the beat. I feel for them, they are bogged down with paperwork and are deskbound. Instead of being out preventing crime.

HondaMan 13:49 19 Oct 2007

I was involved in a hit and run accident a few days ago, it was about 6.40 pm, half-dark and the road were wet and slippery. The other driver came around the corner and ran VERY wide, hitting my car in the process. Fortunately, my car was still driveable and I gave chase and caught the offender. He admitted that he "didn't see the corner", and was rushing to a road running race. He left the scene of the accident when he saw me get out of my car to speak to him (obviously seeing, or thinking I was OK but no thought for my passenger. My passenger called the police who declined to attend but suggested that I go to the nearest police station to report the incident. The two nearest police stations were closed! One of those was the local custody centre.

When our previous chief constable took over there was a 30% increase in the police precept. I now ask myself "what for????????"

The final straw was that the DVLA computer has no knowledge of this vehicle!

norman47 13:51 19 Oct 2007

“Now here is the incredible bit.... "

I think it's the norm nearly everywhere. Yours involved a possible firearm offence and should have been attended immediately. My dealings, over the years, have been met with the same kind of response as you have encountered, though mine have not involved firearms.

anskyber said:-

“It’s about priorities”

How true.

Our county police force has now invested tens of millions in providing local neighbourhood police stations. The open at 9am shut between 12.30pm and 2pm and shut at 5pm. Though the lights are always on 24 hours a day. Our town station is notorious for never having an officer available.

Yesterday they had the traffic enforcement van, with 3 officers in it and a chase car with two officers hidden on a stretch of Motorway. We also had a major check point were nearly every car was pulled over and checked for defects. It took around 30 minutes to get through the check point. They had 4 police cars there and 10 officers. My car is only 9 months old so flew through.:-)

If you want to find a police officer in our town, pop out at lunch time. The sandwich shop or MacDonald’s usually has a good trade from them.

VideoSentry 14:09 19 Oct 2007

Most of the Neighbourhood Police officers ( and PCSO's ) are paid from a different budget,they spend many hours going to meetings,and yes thay do need food -as do you?- but the 'Speed traps and cameras - many, in my opinion - are used to capture money!
The defects I agree with,a motor vehicle can kill if not maintained properly,I've seen it!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?