police insurance computer

sunnystaines 17:01 14 May 2009

if your stopped and your insurance company has not updated the police computer they can seize you car on the spot unless you have your cert with you.

for peace of mind check your registration on this link to confirm its on the computer [check is free ]

click here

GANDALF <|:-)> 17:16 14 May 2009

I always carry a copy of my insurance certificate in the car.

G

user8 17:24 14 May 2009

Never had a problem.
But did check & my car is on the database.

laurie53 20:27 14 May 2009

"unless you have your cert with you."

Police may not necessarily accept a current cert at face value.

It is not unknown for punters to set up a Direct Debit for the insurance, then cancel it after a month or two, but keeping the insurance cert to show the police as required.

In such cases they ring the insurance company direct, quoting your certificate/policy number and get an instant definitive answer.

peter99co 20:35 14 May 2009

Never leave your insurance documents in the car. Same applies to MOT.

Stuartli 21:10 14 May 2009

..or the car's manual or service history documents.

There is no "police insurance computer" as such, but one maintained and updated by car insurance companies as mentioned earlier, who are under the umbrella of the The Motor Insurers Bureau.

sunnystaines 21:39 14 May 2009

the police PNC must be linked to it.

Stuartli 22:18 14 May 2009

Yes, the police can obtain insurance details if they have any doubts about the driver of any vehicle which has been stopped.

However, there are occasions when the database has not been updated as quickly as it should be and cars have been seized even though properly insured.

birdface 06:25 15 May 2009

Tried my little Citroen van reg on it and it comes back as COACH/MINIBUS.

sunnystaines 06:34 15 May 2009

I would check your registration document to check how its listed.

nice to someone else up early.

ened 07:01 15 May 2009

Very useful link because the only reason my aged parent discovered his insurance company had not done this was that he tried to tax his car online.

It would have been very difficult for him had he been stopped and had the car taken from him as they are both unwell.

Many thanks it will be added to his Favourites.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Les meilleures tablettes 2017