Police charge Vincent Tabak with Jo Yeates murder

wids001 06:04 23 Jan 2011

At last someone is charged with this murder.

click here

Now, I wonder if that poor landlord who was originally arrested and questioned about her murder and was vilifiled by the UK gutter press as a pervert etc. only to be released without charge, will sue those papers?

Perhaps there should be a change of law stopping the press from character assasination until finally charged with any offence.

Innocent till proved guilty! Apparently the landlord is still in hiding!

Quickbeam 08:25 23 Jan 2011

As I said previously, all suspects should be granted the same anonymity that rape suspects have been given recently to avoid this happening.

Quickbeam 09:09 23 Jan 2011

" 'At last someone is charged with this murder' implies it's now a done deal."
The arrest of the landlord was presented as a fait accompli by the press with the police not denying it. I'm sure I wasn't the only one that expected him being charged on the deadline of his legal holding time.

WhiteTruckMan 10:01 23 Jan 2011

by the practice of naming someone who has been arrested for an offence. I've had this sort of discussion before in another thread - specifically in relation to rape allegations, and all that entails - but the principle still holds. And that principle is that someone is innocent until proven guilty. Proven guilty in a court of law, not the court of public opinion.

Blasting someone's name on the headlines then a few days later quietly saying they were released and someone else charged instead is not fair treatment. I think it was Mark Twain who said that a lie can be halfway round the world before the truth can get its boots on.

I think it should be the default position in law that no one who is arrested for any offence should be named before conviction. I fully accept that there may occasionally be reasons to release a persons name, for instance to appeal for witnesses etc, but these cases do not come up all that often, and the police should justify them to a judge before permission is granted.

WTM

Chris the Ancient 10:26 23 Jan 2011

The police didn't release the name of the man arrested. The press and media obtained it from the electoral register.

This makes another good reason for names to be withheld. Just suppose that the roll was out of date and a previous occupant were named.

So... it would be down to legislation to muzzle the media. And we know how effective that is... not.

Quickbeam 10:31 23 Jan 2011

Is that the landlord, the neighbour or both?

jakimo 10:40 23 Jan 2011

'As I said previously, all suspects should be granted the same that rape suspects have been given recently to avoid this happening'

The Government have done a u-turn on their original statement. If a rape suspect is charged with rape,then even if the defendant is found innocent anonymity will not be granted before,during or after the trial,which don't seem very fair to me.
The life of many innocent men have been ruined by this unfair law.

click here

Quickbeam 10:47 23 Jan 2011

I wasn't aware of that change jakimo, but I still think unless it's necessary to solve a crime, all unconvinced but charged persons should be allowed anonymity.

In the interests of human rights no less...

birdface 16:31 23 Jan 2011

I don't know why the murder of Jo Yeates should have such a big impact on myself and most of my family.
Maybe it was her nice smile that reminded me of Diana.
A young lady with so much to live for.
Maybe it was the time of year that it happened and the sadness of her parents on loosing their daughter.
This type of thing has happened so many times in the past but for some reason this is one that I will not forget.
I have no idea as to what Jo's parents must be going through at the moment but our thoughts are with them at their sad loss.

john bunyan 17:11 23 Jan 2011

It seems most unfair that the person charged should have so much written about him in the media , and in particular photos , until after the trial. I am sure we all share buteman's sentiments, but we must try to avoid a "lynch mob" attitude; innocent or guilty this man's family must be going through hell as well as the Yates'.

sunnystaines 17:52 23 Jan 2011

Mt view too, hope the first susp the oldboy get comp from the press

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?