police on bikes!?

last starfighter 22:11 15 Jul 2008

In my city there is a push to get the police onto Mountain bike's as they can get down the tenfoots & dont get stuck in traffic also there cheaper to run the a car, the scheme is new & its got a great possative responce from the publie, its nice to see bobies on the street once again isnt it..

Quiller. 22:18 15 Jul 2008

A lot of them could benefit from using a bike.:-))

josie mayhem 22:37 15 Jul 2008

I wasn't aware that the police acutally had legs!!!!

Forum Editor 22:38 15 Jul 2008

we've had police officers on mountain bikes for ages, and it works very well - they can go where cars can't, and the fact that they're out there with all the other cyclists lends them a certain amount of street cred.

spuds 22:46 15 Jul 2008

This is nothing new. Quite a number of police forces use mountain bikes. Our local constabulary use both mountain bikes and electric bikes for the beat bobby or PSCO, and have done for about 4 years. They also use trial motocross bikes, if and when the occasions arise.

I forget where, but one force is testing roller skates.Not sure where they stick the blue light and siren though :O)

Ranger 23:03 15 Jul 2008

Same in Glasgow, they have been using them for a while, ypu mainly only see them in the summer though, wonder why :¬)

Chegs ®™ 02:41 16 Jul 2008

We've got them here,and its quite good fun watching them trying to ride up some of the hills from the station.

BT 07:41 16 Jul 2008

Same here in Norwich.

ronalddonald 07:57 16 Jul 2008

use mountain bikes here in London and you have to watch out for them sometimes, they tend to hang around corners and pull over driverts who dont obey the law of the seat belt and the law of the mobile phone.

I think their are jolly good show becasue they can cut throught ttraffic, and their presence is reassurnace and a detterent.

Grey Goo 09:19 16 Jul 2008

Should have a peddler's licence.

rawprawn 09:41 16 Jul 2008

I haven't seen a bobby on a bike, on foot, or in a car in our village for nearly 6 months.We used to have a resident bobby who knew everyone and lived in the village. Oh happy days!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?