Polanski Arrested

morddwyd 08:10 28 Sep 2009

The US may at last be about to catch up with Polanski

click here

I am amazed at the furore over this arrest from some politicians and show business people.

It's not as though he's still to face trial - he's a convicted paedophile on his own admission and an absconder from custody.

Quickbeam 08:41 28 Sep 2009

An American court might find him as not guilty as OJ...

interzone55 09:05 28 Sep 2009

Polanski admitted his guilt 31 years ago, then ran away the day before sentencing, so it's not a matter of guilt or innocence, just sentencing.

I know there is no Statute of Limitations on rape in the US, but as the victim in this case has repeatedly asked the FBI to drop the case I feel her wishes should be listened to and the case dropped...

WhiteTruckMan 09:20 28 Sep 2009

I always thought this was a silly notion at best. Justice should not be prevented form being carried out just because the perpetrator managed to keep their heads down for a few years. If a crime has been comitted, then it doesnt go away, be it a parking ticket ot ABH.

WTM

Quickbeam 11:21 28 Sep 2009

The report is full of strange mitigation, support and claims. Reneged plea bargains, trauma from the Sharon Tate murder, already paid for a mistake, he's been to Switzerland several times without problems, and the mention of the statute if limitations.

What with The Swiss Directors’ Association saying on Polanski’s arrest “not only a grotesque farce of justice but also an immense cultural scandal"... So it's OK to offend if you can create culture?

And then France saying 'Under a treaty with the US, France can refuse to extradite its own citizens even if they face criminal charges.' What's that all about?

I doubt that any real justice will ever come out of this now.

wee eddie 12:35 28 Sep 2009

"And then France saying 'Under a treaty with the US, France can refuse to extradite its own citizens even if they face criminal charges.' What's that all about?"

What this says is that French Politicians are better at protecting their Citizens Rights, when negotiating with the Yanks, than the British Civil Servants & Politicians. Maybe a mite less gullible as well!

Quickbeam 12:37 28 Sep 2009

The Gaul of it!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Les meilleures applications de covoiturage 2017