Poker Stars Closed by the FBI

birdface 17:48 18 Apr 2011
Answered

Poker Stars and another two online Gaming Companies have been closed by the FBI in the USA. Whether it will affect poker players in the UK I don't know but would think not.

link text

I only play the free versions so it will make no difference to me.

ams4127 22:05 18 Apr 2011

I can see why people enjoy it, but it has no interest to me at all.

Aitchbee 22:17 18 Apr 2011

buteman - used to play it at school in sixth year, and have played it in a pub (just for fun).But online poker does not appeal to me.

birdface 22:49 18 Apr 2011

Well I just get bored sitting about the house all day so have a few games to pass the time. I am ok as long as I don't play for cash but like you say getting a bit bored with it now. I am using Poker Stars at the moment so it must just be the USA side that is closed. Money laundering was mentioned but none of it will be mine.

birdface 09:30 19 Apr 2011

It looks as though those that use those poker sites in the USA will have their accounts frozen as well. So they may have difficulty in withdrawing money from their accounts. That could create a few problems especially for those that gamble for a living. Some Poker Star sites have been removed and this put in their place.link text

interzone55 09:42 19 Apr 2011

I've no knowledge of where Poker Stars and their affiliates site their servers, but a friend's neighbour founded the company that runs most of the online bingo sites (Party Bingo, Sun Bingo etc...), they used to have their servers in Gibraltar for tax reasons, but after the company was bought out they moved them to a Native American Reservation as the US federal gambling laws don't cover reservations.

A lot of Native American families have grown seriously wealthy extracting money from people with gambling problems...

birdface 10:50 19 Apr 2011

alan14. A lot of Native American families have grown seriously wealthy extracting money from people with gambling problems... Yes seen that one on a TV documentary within the last 6 months. Where there is a will there is a way they say.

Snec 16:54 19 Apr 2011

buteman, yes it is already making a big difference on both Full Tilt and Poker Stars.

I mainly play tournaments, rather than ring games, and the fields are sometimes half what they were making the cash positions fewer. You can, or could, make money in tournaments without ever actually winning, although I have won a few mostly my winnings come from just making the money positions.

Another thing is that (surprisingly to non-players perhaps) the Americans are not good players on the whole so beating them is quite easy. Here's the big downside -- the Russians have increased in percentage terms and they are aggressive and unpredictable, hard to get an angle on.

BTW, you will get bored playing on the free tables.... that's not poker at all, but it is how we all started. Have a crack at the real thing, try the micro levels, it's good fun, you won't get bored and if you are half sharp you won't lose much. You might even win. I've been playing for over six years and for the last five I've made profit every year. Not a lot, but some.

birdface 17:57 19 Apr 2011
Answer

Snec.
The Russians have increased in percentage terms and they are aggressive and unpredictable, I wonder if that's where the money laundering comes into it. I must admit on some of the freebies that I play in the Russians are that slow it makes it so boring to play against them. I also get the impression that they play together and the one with the worst hand will then drop out. I may be wrong but just the impression I get on the way that they play.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone