Pocket Hand Warmers

Aitchbee 21:02 09 Sep 2013

Whilst going through [one] my junk drawers tonight, I happened upon 2 yellow 'starfish-shaped' objects, [I bought 'em about 5 years ago, at the onset of winter, from Aldi]. This is what is printed on 'em:-

" Bending the metal plate activates your pocket hand warmers. This causes the liquid inside to crystalise. Depending on the outside temperature, your pocket hand warmers will give up to 55C [degrees] heat for approx. 1 hour. Before using the pocket hand warmers again put them into boiling hot water until the contents are completely clear and fluid ( approx. 10 min ). Wrap the pocket hand warmers into a towel for optimal protection during/after boiling. Attention - Hot: Let the hand warmers cool before picking them up or moving them! The pocket hand warmers are now ready for you to activate again. "

I have just bent the little bit of metal inside the warmers, and after ten seconds, it was very hot.

What kind of magic is this?

Nontek 21:12 09 Sep 2013
  Aitchbee 21:15 09 Sep 2013

Thanks, Nontek ... I still think 'it's a kinda' magic'.

Nontek 21:17 09 Sep 2013

I agree, right clever stuff!

bumpkin 22:34 09 Sep 2013

Willie warmers put them in your underwear.

bumpkin 22:47 09 Sep 2013

Nice one HB:-)

Aitchbee 22:48 09 Sep 2013

Seriously, I think the PHW's would be a boon for any guitar-playin' busker, as it would keep their finger-pickin' fingers at an optimum finger-pickin' playin' temperature ... for a while.

bumpkin 23:00 09 Sep 2013

Aithbee,do they work well with oily lycra though:-))

finerty 23:49 09 Sep 2013

oh well u got to stay warm somehow, try thermal clothing

Quickbeam 07:56 10 Sep 2013

The wearing of Lycra is forbidden on those of us that Adonis has forsaken in later years...

Nontek 09:20 10 Sep 2013

I have electricly heated gloves which I use in winter on my scooter!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best Black Friday Deals 2017

How modern book design was influenced by illustrated manuscripts

Best Black Friday Apple Deals 2017

Les meilleurs logiciels de montage vidéo gratuits (en 2017)