The PM's Myanmar Visit

morddwyd 16:11 13 Apr 2012

I'm not sure if Cam's visit is a coup for him or a propaganda victory for the military backed government.

Any opinions?

Aitchbee 16:54 13 Apr 2012

I think Mr Cameron's decision to visit Burma was a good one. This visit might be seen as a sign by the military led Mayanmar regime (still can't get used to that name) that the rest of the world are very interested in the lifting of the economic sanctions and perhaps a loosening of the austere authorative government in reciprocation, leading to trading with Britain and the rest of the 'free world'.

Aitchbee 18:02 13 Apr 2012

on a lighter note...I hope morddwyd doesn't mind... but if you try to say Myanmar with your lips sealed...it sounds like Burma.

flycatcher1 19:43 13 Apr 2012

First the stick and now the carrot - I hope that it is not a big carrot just yet. There has been some progress on the political front so why not?

morddwyd 20:36 13 Apr 2012

Certainly looks promising.

I have some Burmese friends. Lovely people, always happy and smiling.

That's why the junta lasted so long.

Any other country there'd have been a bloody uprising, but the Burmese, as a race, are very easygoing.

Aitchbee 21:04 13 Apr 2012

As I posted in the 'Boat Race' thread...

"Some people in Burma have to set themselves alight, covered in petrol, to make their point. This sensible protest is what makes us British, British."

Mr Cameron might have been 'moved into action' after seeing the terrible pictures which were in all of the newspapers, of a young man covered in flames in the streets of Burma.

Woolwell 21:27 13 Apr 2012

Seems to be a promising move in the right direction.

sunnystaines 10:10 14 Apr 2012

get in first and set up trade deals or a give away of more billions in aid not sure which way he will go

brown wasted the wealth of the uk on incompetence, cameron doing the same but giving it away instead.

spuds 12:19 16 Apr 2012

I could be completely wrong here, but I wonder if the present regime is taking note of the general unrest and some sudden violent actions around the world, and have decided that it might be best to be friends with their enemies within their own country and beyond?.

Only time will tell perhaps!.

sunnystaines 18:19 16 Apr 2012

spuds you may be right, will other dodgy nations follow.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?