Please Don't Get Me a Red Padlock

laurie53 20:37 22 Dec 2008

There are lots of forecasts of up to ten more major high street retailers going toe the wall in the New Year.

The Forum Editor would rightly never take the risk of allowing to us to publish our guesses here, (hence the title) so let's all make a list of our nominations now, and if and when your predictions prove right you can post your (honest) results.

oresome 21:20 22 Dec 2008

There can be a rise in sales of the most unlikely products during an economic downturn.

An increase in lipstick sales is a good indicator of a recession from what I read and whilst the boys may delay the purchase of a new car, a few more gadgets will be purchased to help lift the gloom.

So you can cross cosmetics and gadget shops off your list.

Legolas 21:23 22 Dec 2008

I think red padlock selling shops will be safe next year, in fact I am thinking on investing in them ;)

recap 21:51 22 Dec 2008

I think your prediction for gadget shops could be short lived as a large high street computer chain shop is already feeling the credit crunch.

AL47 22:13 22 Dec 2008

i bought a new 2nd hand car cause i thought i might as well enjoy what i have, seeing as savings arre worthless atm, its little things ive cut back on

oresome 22:13 22 Dec 2008

Forgive my wishful thinking.

I'm a shareholder smarting from a 90% loss.

dagnammit 22:14 22 Dec 2008

people are spending more money on:

Pregancy tests.

Condoms and other Contraceptives.

Satelite & Cable TV

Gaming

and supermarket takeaways like Pizzas and Curries.

laurie53 08:33 23 Dec 2008

I must admit that Whittard was not one of the first that sprang to mind

click here

babybell 09:20 23 Dec 2008

That would suggest that a lot of people are spending more time in doors!

I wonder if a certain stationer/magazine/book shop will be ok?

sunnystaines 09:24 23 Dec 2008

i buy coffee beans from whittards have to look elsewhere now. whittards were bought earlier in the year by holland and barrett as part of the buy out of julian graves, it was rumoured then they might dump it, i thought taylors of harrogate might have bought whittards.

Condom 10:20 23 Dec 2008

Sometimes identifying these chains can be confusing as who really owns who. Hawkshead is a sure tip from me but I believe the parent company is another well known name so perhaps it just might be rebranded into something else.

In our high street this shop seems to always have a big red cover over its front window and to see what is inside one needs to actually go inside. I don't think the idea has worked as like me I think people like to see inside shop windows.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

The secrets of creating gory VFX

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache