Plastic bag policy 'a diversion'

peter99co 23:03 18 May 2008

I am going back to using bags if this is the case. I know we have be through all this on the forum. They must think we are all mugs. I reuse my bags until they are no good anyway.

click here

"Although the scheme has been beneficial for the environment, the measure was initially introduced to reduce litter."

It seems to be just another way to take money out of our pockets again.

spuds 11:58 19 May 2008

Primark (one of my designer wear suppliers) now provides paper bags. Watch the bags and handles, they can tear at the unexpected moment :O)

And remember to remind the checkout person at Tesco's, if you have a club-card and have your own bags. They tend to forget to add the going green points sometimes!.

Colin 20:11 19 May 2008

From peter99co's link: "In 2002, the Republic of Ireland became the first country in the world to charge for plastic bags."

Who researched that? I remember supermarkets in the UK in the early eighties charging for carrier bags.

Also, these days you just have to mention climate change or global warming as the reason behind any initiative and it gets supported!

amonra 20:17 19 May 2008

Shopping recently in the States, I had all my purchases put into paper bags then into a large plastic bag "In case the paper gets wet" ! Green ??? Grrrrrrr. Have a nice day.

peter99co 20:39 19 May 2008

I watched a program recently about how much food some people buy and then throw away. One Family spent £150 a week at the supermarket. What happened to the shoppers who used to buy food in a SHOPPING BASKET? It is the norm these days to buy everything in one go and this will always mean bad planning. Loads of bags required to get it all home,freezers to make sure it doesn't spoil and best before dates to be watched.
I know we don't have time to shop each day but the lives of some seem to revolve around a big shop.
If I go anywhere these days a bit remote I find myself thinking where the nearest Tesco is.
How did this happen?

JYPX 21:19 19 May 2008

Unless someone can show me 100% proof that a quarter of the food that we buy is going into landfill then I simply don't believe the recent stories that peter99co has mentioned. Are these the same people (most of us) that are so obsessed with not wasting money that they refuse to renew their car insurance until they have identified the cheapest out of 200 quotes?

Forum Editor 23:10 19 May 2008

needs to wake up and start understanding the real world - there's nothing whatsoever wrong in wanting to reduce litter, and if charging for carrier bags reduces the number cluttering up the planet surely nobody in their right mind could argue against it.

In 2002, the Republic of Ireland became the first country in the world to charge for plastic bags - a policy which cut usage by 90% almost overnight.

What's bad about that? It doesn't matter why people give up using them, as long as they do give up. As for the supermarkets trying to shift responsibility to the consumer, who else does Professor Coggins think should bear the responsibility? We're the ones who throw the bags away, and we're the ones who should have enough commonsense to understand that we're creating the problem. We don't, so we have to be motivated via our pockets - it isn't rocket science, but apparently it's beyond the professor's grasp.

Colin 12:51 20 May 2008

"In 2002, the Republic of Ireland became the first country in the world to charge for plastic bags - a policy which cut usage by 90% almost overnight."

What does this mean exactly? As I've posted earlier, charging for plastic bags has happened in this country many years before 2002.

belfman 12:52 20 May 2008

Tax - first to tax plastic bags.

click here to see an old Beeb article.

spuds 13:04 20 May 2008

But doe's this solely apply to plastic bags?.

Nearly everyday when I take the dogs for a walk, I witness teenagers from the local school arriving at the local Tesco supermarket, where they purchase various beverage and food items, which are supplied in various types of containers or holders. From the Tesco store they visit the local recreation park including the toddlers play area. On departure, and return to school, the whole area is left like a complete rubbish tip. Yes the are litter bins, but it appears they are for display purposes only, because no one who seems to have a meal or drink seems to want to clean up afterwards.

So it could well be that everyone returns to the old days, when everyone carried a shopping bag, but perhaps this would not be quite the 21st century!.

The same applies to some (very few) irresponsible dog owners who leave their animals to do what they wish. Cleaning up after them seems to be an unwanted task. Even reporting these facts to the local council, seems to bring lacklustre results, which possibly leads to the attitudes of others.

Colin 13:08 20 May 2008

Thanks, belfman. I understand now!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?