Plans for 53 questions before we travel

anchor 16:35 15 Nov 2007

The Government has unveiled plans to take up to 53 pieces of information from anyone entering or leaving Britain.

I fail to see how many/most of these questions have any relevance to security. The police state has arrived.

click here

ventanas 16:59 15 Nov 2007

I've seen this list, and quite honestly some of it is hopeless. For instance I always travel to the airport by taxi, so how on earth am I going to know the registration number.
What is a Travel Document number?

How many miles have I flown - I don't know.

The date of ticket issue appears to be asked twice.

The cost of fare, in a package deal is unknown

There are many more which are, to me anyway, pointless, and some risky, including giving your credit card details.(Q19)

In fact my wife and I had already decided that this Christmas holiday abroad would be our last venture out of the country for some time. The airport experience for our three holidays this year has been horrible. I know its necessary, but we've had enough. For the foreseeable future we will be holidaying in this country, and you never know, we may enjoy it more.

bstb3 17:10 15 Nov 2007

Thankfully that list appears to be someway off from being used, but even so it seems a bit woolly-brained. I can see the relevance of the questions (well most of them) but expecting people to be able to answer them on demand at the airport is going to be interesting, especially for foreign tourists.

Mind you, on the current Visa application forms (my wife is American, so I know them well) they ask if you have or have been a terrorist, so at least they are getting more subtle.

I suppose the idea is that a lot of the information will be gathered in advance via e-booking systems and a passed on to the authorities (in a similar way to how some much more limited traveller details are already).

There comes a point when you have to consider (not saying that this is it) how much personal freedom and convenience we should have to sacrifice in the name of protecting ourselves and others.

GANDALF <|:-)> 19:54 15 Nov 2007

1) this was in the Daily Mail and like the day/date/price on the top of that rag, it needs to be treated with caution.
2) If it is true, it is brought to you by the Goverment who bleats constantly about security and then employs illegal immigrants in teh Home Office.

Double meh! from me.

G

anchor 09:13 16 Nov 2007

GANDALF <|:-)>

I also heard about this proposal on the BBC TV news. The Daily Mail actually published the 53 proposed questions.

I agree that the Mail is strongly anti-Labour party, but that does not make everything they publish untrue.

I would violently object to giving my credit card details.

Forum Editor 08:22 17 Nov 2007

at airports when/if this system is fully operational, and there will be strong opposition from the travelling public.

On the other hand..... the government might ask if we want secure borders or not. We seem to want to reserve the right to complain like mad when security services appear to fail, yet we moan like mad when someone tries to do something to put matters right. Every time I fly out of or into the UK I see something that strikes me as being a security risk, but I realise that in the real world the only way to improve security is to inconvenience all travelers. Fly into America, and you'll see how they do it - you'll stand in line (no mobile phones allowed) and wait your turn to be photographed and inspected; the authorities will already have been notified about you by your departing airport, they'll know who you are, whether you have ever had a criminal record, how (and when) you paid for your ticket, your date and place of birth, etc. If they have even the slightest doubt about you they'll stop you boarding the aircraft at your point of departure - you won't just be turned away at the American end - you won't even get on the aircrft.

laurie53 08:34 17 Nov 2007

On the other hand, you could just drive in from Canada!

Stuartli 21:44 17 Nov 2007

I'm pretty sure that Mr G Brown and others of his ilk won't be required to fill in the forms...:-)

Stuartli 21:46 17 Nov 2007

..if he DID have to fill in the forms (all by himself) we might get a result.......

Forum Editor 01:32 18 Nov 2007

The Prime Minister doesn't pass through immigration controls when travelling on official business, as I'm sure you are aware.

Stuartli 13:08 18 Nov 2007

That's why, of course, I emphasised the statement with "..DID.." and "..all by himself..."

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?