For the plane spotter..

Seth Haniel 08:20 24 Feb 2010

click here

Dubbed The Boneyard, but officially known as the 309th Aerospace Maintenance and Regeneration Group (AMARG) facility, this sprawling US airbase is reputed to be the world's largest military aircraft cemetery.

Spread across the huge 2,600 acre site, equivalent in size to 1,430 football pitches, is a collection of over 4,000 retired aircraft including nearly every plane the US armed forces have flown since World War II.

sunnystaines 08:45 24 Feb 2010

as a youngster we would often goto the airport to watch the planes etc and i can remember some one had gone on holiday to USA near this place and visited it. This was 1969/70 era and he was allowed to wander around taking photos which were amazing then. in the UK at Lasham the worlds civil airlines go for storage / breaking up but no on such a large scale as in the link.

Quickbeam 08:47 24 Feb 2010

Good job they never sold them to tin pot dictatorships to recoup some money like our government would have done, and then had to fight against our own hardware at some time in the future.

Rigga 08:59 24 Feb 2010

Google earth view of said boneyard >click here;

R.

OTT_B 09:33 24 Feb 2010

The Lasham facility doesn't look quite as impressive on Google Earth lol

click here

john bunyan 09:57 24 Feb 2010

Maybe the anorak planespotters who got arrested in Greece and those in India could go there and end up in Guantanamo. How 50 year olds can pay good money to sit in a hotel bedroom watchin planes with binos, scanners etc in India etc is beyond me.I suppose it is their (to me,sad,) choice.

john bunyan 09:59 24 Feb 2010
  sunnystaines 10:00 24 Feb 2010

I was only going on a tv doc i saw a few years ago on one of the doc channels.

they had airliners from all over the world go there for storage/breaking etc.

dagbladet 10:18 24 Feb 2010

The servicing facility at Lasham was originally set up by Dan-Air in the 50's. More latterly it remains an aircraft servicing centre and with the demise of some airlines, a redundant aircraft storage facility.

click here

Seth Haniel 10:30 24 Feb 2010

that is forever America
click here
'Menwith Hill' complete with baseball park

Pine Man 10:40 24 Feb 2010

I suppose the 'anorak plain spotters' view football spectators the same way. Watching fully grown men kicking a lump of leather around for an hour and a half every Saturday afternoon;-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017