Place to sleep near exit junctions on French M/way

Cara2 13:40 11 Oct 2009

Traveling through France along A26 / A4 and need some good stop off points to sleep maybe near Reims or Metz.

Would have to be very near to the exit junction.

Planning to take a car over to Malta - will not be a pleasure trip - just get there as quick as possible.

Anybody got any suggestions or tips for the journey?

Thanks
Cara

rowdy 14:05 11 Oct 2009

click here

Motel like accomodation, reasonable cheap with attached restaurant.

rowdy

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:31 11 Oct 2009

Agree Campanile hotels, a little basic but clean and the food is usually good. Lots of them all over France (some in England too) near all the major routes.

I'll be in one myself tomorrow.

the hick 14:35 11 Oct 2009

Campanile are sound choice in my experience. Avoid the Bonsai chain, both I used were in dire need of refurb.

SimpleSimon1 15:02 11 Oct 2009

Am in France regularly and [as well as Campanile chain]I normally reckon that hotels from the Accor chain (click here) are a good bet for this sort of thing.

IMHO, within Accor, the Ibis brand is the best value which normally combines functional (but comfortable rooms) with decent small restaurants. The Novotel and Mercure brands are normally a bit more upmarket and will thus be a bit more expensive. The Etap and Formula 1 places are slightly more down-market from Ibis and can be a bit cheaper. However, they can be slightly more variable and can be difficult to get into cos they fill up quickly.

There are now many different budget chains competing and buying each other out (e.g. Balladins, Lune et Etoile. Motel 1, Fasthotel etc) and, as The Hick implied, quality can be variable. However, the upside is that you'll never be stuck for somewhere to stay - generally they'll be clustered around the Centre Commercials and/or near the motorway exits. Even if they don't have a restaurant, there'll be a pizza joint, Buffalo Grill or similar nearby. Strongly suggest booking ahead in peak season and weekends cause they can get busy.

Bon voyage

Noldi 18:43 11 Oct 2009

click here

I use the F1 hotel chain no frills but stop sleep and go. I find driving lond distances in France at night easier. I do Zürich to Calias quite regular over the last 10 years and have tried other options but this one suits me best.

Noldi

OTT_Buzzard 20:27 11 Oct 2009

I'm more of an Ibis hotel fan myself, although I've stayed in a good number of Campaniles (and Climat's as were) and find them fine for a budget hotel. The downside is that they tend to be closer to town centers than the Campaniles, which tend to be on industrial estates - that's not as bad as it sounds!

It's a pity you want to stay on the motorways. If you can, stay in Reims for a night. It's one of my favourite French citys.

Sapins 20:32 11 Oct 2009

click here

We use these all the time now, good value and usually a restaurant within walking distance

Cara2 20:38 11 Oct 2009

Thanks for all your replies. Plenty to research!

I won't be going - my husband and son will be travelling together. Definately not a pleasure trip - so no opportunity to sightsee unfortunately.

So it is essential that all overnight stops are right by the motorway. Lots of deadlines to achieve.

Thanks again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

30 UK artists have created vibrant posters celebrating Pride London

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?