Pitman Training

snowy30 18:44 13 Apr 2007

Has anyone been on one of Pitman's Training courses? And if so, are they any good?

bluto1 21:07 13 Apr 2007

That`s a blast from the past. My sister,Gbh, did a Pittman`s course in 1961. She was over the moon with her results and got a great job as a result. However, you are only interested in up tp date courses, so lets hope sombody much younger comes along to help. Do remember that the course will only deliver the results of your input. The very best to you.

The Brigadier 21:19 13 Apr 2007

My parents met at Pitmans College in 1951.

Kate B 00:56 14 Apr 2007

Pitman as in the shorthand? I think pretty much everywhere teaches Teeline these days, which isn't hard to learn and you can get good speeds quite quickly.

Jackcoms 16:42 14 Apr 2007

"Has anyone been on one of Pitman's Training courses? And if so, are they any good?"

Yes and yes.

"Pitman as in the shorthand?"

Yes - but they have a rather wider range of subjects on offer these days click here

About 12 months ago I took (and passed) their course for Sage Line 50 accounting software. Not cheap (about £350 I seem to recall) but an excellent, in-depth and worthwhile course.

pj123 16:53 15 Apr 2007

The Pitman Typing Course is very good.

I joined the Royal Navy as a Telegraphist in 1951.

I was taught to type using the Pitmans method with music, a very large Petty Officer trainer and an even larger Screwdriver, (don’t ask).

The maximum required speed at that time was 45wpm.

I left the Navy in 1961 and went to work at the GPO as a telegraphist. Their typing requirement was 66wpm with no errors.

After a 19 week course my typing speed was 70wpm with no errors, and it still is.

I went to an Employment Agency recently and took a speed test, it was actually 69.5wpm.

Bingalau 19:21 15 Apr 2007

pj123. I am assuming then, that you were in the "Writers" branch of the R.N. I have a very good friend from that branch who was probably in around your time. He was also a very good typist and still is. He tried to get me to learn to type his way, without success I may add. I use most of my fingers but not necessarily in the correct order.

pj123 20:25 15 Apr 2007

Bingalau, no, I was a sailor not a passenger. A telegraphist, we had to receive morse code as fast as we could and take it down on a typewriter.

Forum Editor 20:30 15 Apr 2007

when she left university.

To this day she can type like lightning, although she never bothered much with shorthand for note-taking.

Bingalau 20:34 15 Apr 2007

I shall pass on that little bit of knowledge to my friend, just for the laugh. Thanks... By the way I was taught semaphore and became quite good at it. I find that it still comes in handy when I go into our branch of the RNA club. One of my mates is an ex RM Signaller from pre-war days and we ask each other what we are having by semaphore when the place is crowded. It's a fair distance from our table to the bar and too noisy to shout..

pj123 22:48 15 Apr 2007

Yes, we had to learn semaphore as well and also the signal flags hoisted up on the mast.

Don't forget to do the J before starting your message. That is to show the receiver which way you are facing.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone