Pitching a tent

Graham. 15:32 09 Apr 2007

I have given my neighbour a tent for their kids to play in on the garden. Trouble is, I haven't used it for years and can't figure out how to put it together now.

It's an igloo type, with rods that go into slots in the groundsheet and bend to form the igloo shape when fastened together at the top.

Any pointers welcome.

wolfie3000 15:56 09 Apr 2007

It you know make make and model of the tent maybe theres instructions on the net?

Or try trial and error.

Totally-braindead 15:58 09 Apr 2007

My little one man jobbie, you assemble the poles, slide them into the holes in the canvas and as you are ding this bend them until you can get them in the end caps which hold the ends of the rods. Hope that makes some sort of sense.

Mines a cheapy and didn't come with instructions so I had to figure it out myself.

SB23 16:00 09 Apr 2007

In the material as its laying on the ground you should see hoops of material. Feed the poles through the hoops, then, if its easier get someone to lift the centre, (where the poles cross) from inside, and locate the poles into the groundsheet. You can then place the flysheet if it has one over the top, and fasten using the guide ropes.

Hope it helps, I can see what you do in my head, hard to put into words.
Exactly the same principle on my 9 berth tent, just more hoops and bigger poles, lol.

Graham. 16:02 09 Apr 2007

Lichfield Husky. I searched with Google and BT for the maker, John James Hawley of Walsall. No trace now.

Graham. 16:07 09 Apr 2007

Yes, that's the way I remember. I could do it on my own. I can remember bending the rods to fit into the slots in the groundsheet. But at the top, there is only a loose tie, so nothing to bend against.

Blackhat 16:14 09 Apr 2007

I bet the kids could sort it out!

SB23 16:22 09 Apr 2007

The loose tie is tied around the poles, where they cross, to support the inner tent. You don't need to bend against anything, just locate them in the groundsheet, then tie up in the middle.

Graham. 16:28 09 Apr 2007

That's how I remember it. But now, all the rods are in place, I pick them up, and everything falls apart.

SB23 16:32 09 Apr 2007

In my experience, once in the groundsheet, the poles are in tension and automatically form the 2 arches, that will support the inner tent.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:35 09 Apr 2007

Spread tent on ground
Elasticated Poles go diagonaly across the tent
feed one set of poles though hoops
At one end fit pole into loop of bed sheet.
bend other end of poles into opposite loop.

Repeat for other poles.

stretch out tent and peg to ground or if pockets supplied then weigh tent down with sand/ stones in pockets

roof of tent can be secured to center of poles by the ties.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?