pipex ISP up for sale

sunny staines 08:33 12 Mar 2007

click here

getting fed up with a decent service being put up for sale and being bought out by bad a company.

had it with World Online when they were bought out by a bad company the service and billing went right downhill and after several disputes i moved.

a couple of the interested companies have had bad press so i have my fingers crossed at the moment.

Aargh 11:23 12 Mar 2007

It's the nature of the beast unfortunately - increased competition, consolidation and profit taking are all part of the market.

I was sold by Freeserve to Wanadoo then bought by Orange. I moved my phones from BT to Cauldwell Groups Homecall, who were bought by Pipex. I moved my Broadband to Pipex, so I now expect BT to buy them and rebrand themselves as Freeserve!

anchor 13:53 12 Mar 2007

I thought that Pipex were one of the big players in the field; they claimed to have over half a million broadband customers.

It seems that even companies like this are not secure.

Stuartli 14:40 12 Mar 2007

Ironically Pipex made its name initially when established in 1991 by catering mainly for business customers.

johndrew 16:10 12 Mar 2007

If you consider that in the UK alone there must be some 15million broadband users then Pipex are reasonably small compared to Orange, BT and others.

I do agree that the `big fish` are mopping up the smaller ones rather effectively though and a monopoly (or cartel) is not of benefit to the majority of us.

anchor 12:00 29 Mar 2007

From what I read the most likely new owner is Virgin Media.

click here

Jak_1 12:06 29 Mar 2007

A takeover was being talked about over a year ago. When I was working in a BT exchange, they were talking about BT buying Pipex.

Kate B 14:24 29 Mar 2007

It would make sense for Virgin to have an ADSL provider.

The picture on that link is hilarious - classic Branson.

riiverstock 14:45 29 Mar 2007

Kate B ,are you referring to the padded clothes?

Kate B 15:08 29 Mar 2007

Yeah - Dita von Teese is just obviously accidentally in the shot ;-)

sunny staines 18:53 29 Mar 2007

the opening of bids for pipex is tomorrow 31/3 we will know if its gloom or doom depending on who wins the bid.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone