The piece of paper that fooled Hitler

peter99co 21:58 27 Jan 2011

click here

Now a document, here published for the first time.

Forum Editor 23:00 27 Jan 2011

some 10,000 men and women were employed deciphering the messages."

My wife's parents lived just outside the perimeter of Bletchley Park during the war, and although they knew that something pretty secret went on there, security was so tight that they didn't have the slightest idea of what it was. Thousands of people came and went through the gates, but nobody said a word about their work.

I wonder how long the lid would stay on something like that for so long nowadays.

Uboat 00:58 28 Jan 2011

I wonder how long the lid would stay on something like that for so long nowadays!

Interesting point Peter!

I think now a days there is far greater security measures and with a wage to satisfy the biggest of spenders for the people involved! imho i think the only example at this moment is Area51 no one can get close and yet there is a army of people working in there! and almost nothing is exposed...but then that is america im not sure on a uk example?

GANDALF <|:-)> 11:07 28 Jan 2011

'I wonder how long the lid would stay on something like that for so long nowadays'....GCHQ, Priors Road and Boddington employ over 5000 staff and they don't exactly go blabbing all over Cheltenham.

G

spuds 11:20 28 Jan 2011

When I saw the title, I immediately thought about Chamberlain. I wonder why?.

peter99co 11:23 28 Jan 2011

No he fooled us.

Chamberlain's reputation remains controversial among historians, with the initial high regard for him being entirely eroded by books such as Guilty Men, published in July 1940, which blamed Chamberlain and his associates for the Munich accord and for allegedly failing to prepare the country for war.

natdoor 16:39 28 Jan 2011

I would expect that these days the existance and purpose of Bletchley Park would be published by the Daily Mail "in the public interest", which equates to their interest in selling more papers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?