Picking up on what the FE asked

spikeychris 19:05 10 Jul 2004

as its a good question. Are you the only one who uses the computers in your house? Not the kids (they are bound to have a play) but the spouse/partner (horrible word).

Does your other half watch the tele whilst you're in another room? do you have a laptop on your..ahh lap? Does he/she mind?

Mine isn't altogether pleased as she HATES and I mean HATES computers and I have a laptop in the same room as her.

Nellie2 19:45 10 Jul 2004

'try training a woman'?? I don't think gender has anything to do with it.

My other half fiddles with his computer while I fiddle with mine... but he watches telly too.... I think he is just keeping an eye on me to be honest!

Old Shep 19:48 10 Jul 2004

'try training a woman'?? No offence meant to the gentler sex but I tried to teach my missus to drive years ago and it still haunts me. Apologies.

Indigo 1 19:54 10 Jul 2004

Two PC's networked in the same room (study) 1 TV in the lounge, needless to say I spend most of my time in the study while the missuses "lounges in front of the telly".

We don't have Cable TV, Freeview or Satellite but that would not change the amount of TV I watch anyway.

She doesen't particularly like our split relationship but she knows I hate telly and I am not just wasting time on the PC, I am putting my time to good use.

spikeychris 19:59 10 Jul 2004

"I am not just wasting time on the PC, I am putting my time to good use." Such as?? Just asking for ideas :)

Indigo 1 20:53 10 Jul 2004

I personally am using it as a learning tool, I am doing a couple of online courses in IT and computer studies. Apart from checking out new bit's of kit etc and shopping of course (saves fuel by not driving 20 miles to town).

I also my PC for creating Music with programs like Cubase and so need to download new samples and upload my tunes when they are ready.

I can't imagine life without my PC or the internet now.

Big Elf 21:15 10 Jul 2004

My missus uses the computer a lot but more so since she registered with a new(ish) forum. In fact she's said that she feels more part of the computer experience since she joined this particular forum. We share the computer(s) and as she paid half it is only reasonable that she has a chance to use it whenever she wants. She hasn't re-installed Windows but knows to check for AV and Spyware updates on a regular basis and to make sure they've installed and check the results. She also does backups if I'm not around.

She, like me works with Oracle software and uses SQL on a daily basis to do her job, the fact she's generally uninterested in how PCs and OS's work is irrelevant.

hooligan 22:43 10 Jul 2004

She said she can go on, when big brother is on, as you watch that! Then you want it back.

Forum Editor 23:08 10 Jul 2004

to make sexist comments - I'll delete them without any explanation.

Sapins 09:03 11 Jul 2004

Please resist the temptation
to make sexist comments - I'll delete them without any explanation.

Fully agree with that but I hope you mean the individual comment/s and not the whole thread, why let someone spoil a perfectly good thread.

Regards,

Sapins

Forum Editor 10:07 11 Jul 2004

and not the thread - although if the unacceptable comment is in the thread title, or the initial post the whole thread will go.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Les meilleures applications de covoiturage 2017