Photo Restoration

anchor 15:55 18 Oct 2006

On a recent visit to my cousin in Wales, I was shown an original picture of my Grandmother that was carried by Grandfather during all his active service in the Great War. I had not seen this before, & was probably taken in about 1910. It was still with him when subsequently wounded & taken prisoner by the Germans. It is stamped on the back by the German POW camp authorities.

The picture was in very poor condition, torn and discoloured. We think the hole on the right was caused by the bullet that nearly killed him, had it not been for the pictures of his family, in a case that deflected it.

Here is the result:

click here

Some of you may recall a year ago the picture I colourised of him on a horse, beside a covered wagon ambulance.

click here

johndrew 16:03 18 Oct 2006

Excellent recovery job on the monochrome of your Grandmother. The colourised picture is good as well.

If you`re touting for business I have................!!!

anchor 16:13 18 Oct 2006

johndrew: Thanks for the compliments.

I only do this for the family; you cannot imagine how long it takes; its a labour of love.

alB 16:19 18 Oct 2006

Excellent piece of restoration, I know from my own experience what a long job it is to get it just right but it's a very satifying feeling when you see the final result...keep up the good work !! ..alB

johndrew 19:08 18 Oct 2006

`..you cannot imagine how long it takes..`

Unfortunately, I can. I do my own video editing and that is hard enough!!!!!

WhiteTruckMan 20:33 18 Oct 2006

Truly first rate job in my opinion. Well done!

I have to ask, though. How did you come about the 'missing' bit? was it simply educated guesswork? Extrapolation? did you have the missing bit? or something else?

Admiringly

WTM

wolfie3000 23:03 18 Oct 2006

Anchor

Im truely amazed at your skill, Do you work in the phographic industry?

If not you should thats just amazing what you did.

anchor 09:07 19 Oct 2006

wolfie3000: No I have never worked in the photographic field; I am a retired chemist who worked in the pharmaceutical industry for many years. Digital photography, and the computer, have opened a new world to me.

WhiteTruckMan: Yes, filling in the missing part was an educated guess. I felt it reasonable to assume that the folds in the curtain behind my Grandmother continued down. The missing bit was probably lost when the bullet struck.

anchor 16:16 21 Oct 2006

WhiteTruckMan: I take your point about the uniform colour of the sky. I have done a bit more work on it and added some "real" sky.

Not sure of the best way to add some rucks to the cross on the wagon canvas though. Have to consider this.

Have a look at the changes:

click here

WhiteTruckMan 18:47 21 Oct 2006

The comments about colour of the sky are, in my opinion, correct, but I cannot take credit (blame?) for them. Talk to fourm member about them

WTM

De Marcus™ 19:41 21 Oct 2006

I generally find it best when colourising images with complex folds (i.e. cloth) to use the original image and adjust the colour channels, contrast and brightness.

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires