Petrol shortage ......... Don't Panic buy

Seth Haniel 13:51 21 Apr 2008

click here

Refinery shuts down before strike
Plant workers at Grangemouth will walk out for 48 hours from Sunday

The shutdown of the Grangemouth oil refinery has started with the closure of a crude oil unit ahead of planned strike action over pensions.

The first minister urged bosses and unions to reopen negotiations and also outlined the government's contingency plans for a total shut-down.

Drivers have been urged not to panic buy at the forecourts.

JanetO 14:06 21 Apr 2008

Another timely announcement to 'get on ya bikes'.

peter99co 14:12 21 Apr 2008

Just in case anyone want a new way of getting about!

click here

Quickbeam 14:20 21 Apr 2008

"Drivers have been urged not to panic buy at the forecourts."

That statement will ensure they do just that!

dms_05 14:47 21 Apr 2008

It's odd - the same amount of fuel is available in the gasoline retail chain, just it's point of storage changes - from the retailers tank to the cars tank. It's actually a massive cash flow boost to the petrol companies as it's stored after payment.

Pineman100 15:11 21 Apr 2008

Quickbeam's right. Nothing is more guaranteed to provoke panic buying than a Government assurance that panic buying isn't necessary.

We're equally guilty of talking ourselves into a problem in the housing market. "Experts predict a 10% fall in house prices" is an iron-clad guarantee of just that.

tillybaby 16:13 21 Apr 2008

I work in a petrol station and sure enough the panic buying has already started and the strike might not even go ahead yet.

Bingalau 16:48 21 Apr 2008

I've got a petrol driven lawn mower. Woe is me, I will have to let the grass grow.

Jak_1 16:51 21 Apr 2008

"I've got a petrol driven lawn mower. Woe is me, I will have to let the grass grow."

I think not, Bing. If I am correct then your petrol like ours in sunny Manchester comes from the Stanlow Oil Refinery. Get mowin' :)

techie4me 17:09 21 Apr 2008

2 winners over this: Petrol Companies & HM Treasury.

If the goverment cut fuel duty by 5p a litre they would only increase taxes by the same amount.
Would we have strikes if income tax went up 5p?

As for fuel shortages, is this why my local Halfords had a big order of petrol cans in today!!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:43 21 Apr 2008

Don't Panic, buy

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?