Petrol going up 2.5p

techie4me 17:37 28 Sep 2007

1st October is the day for petrol to go up 2.5p a litre.
Will people except this or will fuel protests come back?

birdface 09:39 03 Oct 2007

Sorry but I cannot agree with you.[The government needs money] If they need money let them do it the proper way and put the income tax up so that everyone pays there fair share,At the moment they are discriminating against drivers which I believe is illegal.

spuds 09:39 03 Oct 2007

I do not know why everyone seem to suggest that taxes 'must' rise to support certain services. Perhaps if more prudent spending was a major keyword,instead of waste, taxes would not need to rise on an everyday scale. Take me to any hospital for a tour behind the scenes, and I could guarantee that I as a layperson, would see 'spending errors'.

The same applies to road-building, how many times do you observe roadworks with very limited action occurring in the area. Didn't Top Gear's three presenters take on a road-building project, and put the professionals and the local council to shame!.

birdface 09:41 03 Oct 2007

Sorry but I cannot agree with you.[The government needs money] If they need money let them do it the proper way and put the income tax up so that everyone pays there fair share,At the moment they are discriminating against drivers which I believe is illegal.

newman35 09:50 03 Oct 2007

The government DOES need money to pay for all our services, surely?
The methods of raising this money are debated and published before each election in Party Manifestos - you then put your cross against whoever seems to do it the way you wish. That's democracy.

I might agree with your idea of only having income tax, except the anomalies this would create would make it unworkable - I think I'm safe in saying no country in the industrialised world has ONLY income tax.

birdface 09:54 03 Oct 2007

Sorry but I cannot agree with you.[Government needs money] If they need money it is up to them to do it properly and put the income tax up accordingly so that everyone pays their fair share.But at the moment they are discriminating against drivers,And any type of discrimination is illegal.

newman35 09:56 03 Oct 2007

I did not suggest taxes 'must rise', and I agree that wastage is a problem - but Governmants (since time began) have all tried to eliminate waste - but few, if any, have succeeded.

WE can all see individual cases of waste but it's how to stop it successfully that's the problem. Strangely, sometimes it's cheaper to accept some wastage because the cost of saving it is higher than the waste itself - daft, but true.

laurie53 10:06 03 Oct 2007

Governments need money, yes, but it depends what the money is needed for.

Living in Scotland on a fixed income I have no desire to see my income tax go up so that the funding to the Welsh Arts Council can be increased.

Far batter to tax theatre/cinema tickets, so that those with the interest pay the subsidy.

I drove 250 miles yesterday, had a cup of coffee and came home again (through the Cairngorms, glorious day, glorious views) and had absolutely no qualms about the tax I paid on this pleasure.

Qualms about global warming are another thread.

laurie53 10:07 03 Oct 2007

Governments need money, yes, but it depends what the money is needed for.

Living in Scotland on a fixed income I have no desire to see my income tax go up so that the funding to the Welsh Arts Council can be increased.

Far batter to tax theatre/cinema tickets, so that those with the interest pay the subsidy.

I drove 250 miles yesterday, had a cup of coffee and came home again (through the Cairngorms, glorious day, glorious views) and had absolutely no qualms about the tax I paid on this pleasure.

Qualms about global warming are another thread.

newman35 10:14 03 Oct 2007

You illustrate my point, we are all individuals with different needs, aspirations, incomes etc, so no tax collection system will make us all happy and feel 'fairness'.
That's why we have Governments & politicians - for someone to blame!!

birdface 10:27 03 Oct 2007

Sorry about all the Extra,s I did not notice there was a page 2 and thought there was something wrong with my computer.And Forum member I was not talking about part time drivers like yourself.I was talking about high mileage and professional drivers who have to drive for a living.Now as far as I know it is cheaper to make diesel than what it is petrol.So why then should it be cheaper to buy petrol than diesel.Another rip off.My last word on the subject,Are motorist being discriminated against with the high fuel price.s ,Is there anyone that thinks No.!!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5T review: Hands-on

Illustrator Andrés Lozano on his improv line work, brazen use of colours & hand sketching

iPhone X review

Comment envoyer gratuitement des gros fichiers ?