Peter O'Toole

rdave13 18:45 15 Dec 2013
Answered

has passed away. Laurence Of Arabia was my favourite film many years ago.

Guardian link.

finerty 19:14 15 Dec 2013

Great Actor great man

fourm member 09:03 16 Dec 2013

'Great Actor great man'

Oh, please.

Great actor he may have been but how does a hell-raising drunk become a great man just by growing old and dying?

Quickbeam 09:15 16 Dec 2013

"...how does a hell-raising drunk become a great man just by growing old and dying?" If that's the criteria to attain greatness, what level of greatness does Oliver Reed hold...?

michaelw 09:22 16 Dec 2013

Well, Mr Grumpy, he was very talented and very generous anyway.

I saw him in the play Geoffrey Barnard is unwell, set in the Coach and Horses pub where the writer used to frequent in Soho. That was my local too at the time and he caught the mood perfectly. The pub was run by Norman, a middle-aged man, who was infamously known as the rudest landlord in London. I can vouch that he was too. I often heard him saying things to little old ladies who took too long to make up their minds that would make a guardsman blush. This was usually followed by a telling off by his Jewish mother sitting at one of the tables.

A great man maybe not, but he came out with some great lines, like: Acting is a lot of farting around in costumes. RIP

Brumas 09:29 16 Dec 2013

He was great in 'Florence of Belgravia' sorry 'Lawrence of Arabia' but not so great at playing an Irishman. Fran saw him in Juno and the Paycock, in Dublin in the 60s and said his accent was embarrassing - his acting was great however.

fourm member 09:49 16 Dec 2013

michaelw

'Mr Grumpy'

I'll happily plead guilty to that. Coming in the same week that we've seen people falling over themselves to call Nelson Mandela an angel, even those who called him a terrorist in the past, the idea that Peter O'Toole was a great man was too much to take.

The remarkable thing about O'Toole is what he achieved in spite of being very far from a great man.

michaelw 11:35 16 Dec 2013

I'll happily plead guilty to that. Coming in the same week that we've seen people falling over themselves to call Nelson Mandela an angel, even those who called him a terrorist in the past, the idea that Peter O'Toole was a great man was too much to take.

That's interesting, your view of someone like Mandela. This was someone who spent 27 years in prison, some in hard labour, for attempting to stop the British from treating blacks like dirt, segegating them because they were deemed to be sub-human and kicking seven bells out of them for the colour of their skin. Then he forgave his captors and became a peace campaigner as well as campainging for equal rights for those not lucky enough to be born in white countries, a bit like Gandhi I suppose.

Could a plumber who was excellent at his job expect the same fuss, or would he require to be a drunk as well?

When my plumber came to fix our toilet I considered him to be the most wonderful person in the world.

It would be interesting on your opinions of someone who deserves the occolade of 'great'.

Quickbeam 11:36 16 Dec 2013

Does that mean that the drunken sailor that nobody knew what to do with was destined for greatness?

fourm member 16:25 16 Dec 2013

michaelw

I'm surprised that you are commenting on 'my view of someone like Mandela' given that I haven't given one.

I was commenting on those people who have talked about what a great man Mandela was hoping no-one would remember that they had called him many things other than great in the past. My remarks concerned those people not Nelson Mandela. I hope I have made that clear enough for you.

finerty 21:26 16 Dec 2013

Mr Grumpyi how r u mr grumpy sing me a song.......

in refernce to what u say He wa a Great Man and a Great Actor when i saw hin in Lawrence of Arabia at the pitures in black and white

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017