Pet Care

laurie53 08:04 25 Jul 2009

Our cat was run over earlier this week

Not much on the scale of world suffering, but whether you’re a dog, cat, rabbit or even hamster lover there’s something very haunting about a pet’s eyes as she drags herself towards you on her front legs crying piteously for help which you cannot give.

Mr Mistoffelees 08:36 25 Jul 2009

I know exactly what you mean. I had a big tom who got run over running across the road after I had called him, which made me feel terrible. Got him in the car but, he died in my partner's arms before I got the car started.

LinH 08:39 25 Jul 2009

How dreadful, you have our sympathy. Our cat recently died from feline leukaemia and the feeling of helplessness during the final hours is something we will never forget.

Did your cat survive or were the injuries to severe?

LinH

peter99co 10:53 25 Jul 2009

I met a man who had an ex.police dog which followed him everywhere without the need for a lead attached. One day this perfectly trained dog reverted to type and ran across the road after a cat and was killed by a passing car. He was heartbroken.

spuds 19:07 25 Jul 2009

Those eyes are the thing that is telling you that the animal is trusting, and that you can make things right. Sadly though this is not always the case.

A few months ago, we 'lost' one of our staffies. A typical early Sunday morning, and everyone, including the dog's were having breakfast. The 13 year old staffie began to show signs of distress, and I realised that something very serious was happening. A phone call to the vet's and a swift journey to the surgery, but somehow we knew that we had already 'lost' him as we left home. Due to the dog's medical history the vet didn't want to try and 'save' him, and so let him pass peacefully away.

You tend to think, "what could I have done" and possible hold yourself to blame. But in reality, there is very little that can be done in certain circumstances, and nature as to reclaim their own.

We now have a replacement one year old dog from the local animal rescue centre. Came to us as a serious problem dog (previous owners!), but so far he is settling down very well. In fact he's fast asleep right beside me at this present time, so it cannot be all that bad!.

laurie53 19:30 25 Jul 2009

Broken pelvis and tail.

The tail has to come off but the vet is hopeful for the pelvis.

Depends if bladder and bowel function are OK.

kev d 21:36 25 Jul 2009

as an animal lover, especially cats, I hope you will soon be able to report some happy news.

rdave13 21:53 25 Jul 2009

Many years ago as a carpenter, working on some repairs to a house, we heard an awful scream from next door. Running round to find what the commotion was we found a mother and daughter in distress. The mother, needing to drive her daughter back to school after the dinner break, had reversed over their cat. From the chest down everything had been squashed out of the cat's body. It was spitting and howling and in a terrible way. I asked both mum and daughter to go in the house as I needed to get the poor animal out of its misery. Not easy to do but needed to be done. Wrapped the body up and disposed of it. (If the then boss had known about this he would undoubtedly have charged them for my time and effort! :))
Not even a thank you for smoothing over life's reality. Still, the cat didn't suffer prolonged pain.

interzone55 15:53 26 Jul 2009

I was woken on christmas morning last year by a woman screaming.

Fearing she was being attacked I ran downstairs and out the door.

Lying against my car was a cat, it had just been hit by a speeding car and thrown against my car, it was in a bad way, so I carried into the house and placed it a towel by the radiator. Not having any cat pain killers to hand I gave him a spoon a santa's brandy. It seemed to do the trick as his eyes almost smiled as he expired in my arms.

He had no collar on, so the unknown cat is now buried in my back garden...

crosstrainer 15:57 26 Jul 2009

I hope your cat makes a full recovery....They are very adaptable and many live quite happily without a tail.

interzone55 17:40 26 Jul 2009

That is very true

one of our cats was a rescue kitten from the Cats Protection League. When he picked us he had a distinct kink in his tail.

When he was a few months old he had an accident, we're not sure what happened, the vet thinks he was either kicked or was struck a glancing blow by a car, but he was quite poorly for some time, and his tail became completely dislocated.

The vet had to amputate the tail, but he said the job was easier because it was mostly dead anyway, he thinks the kink was caused by it being trapped in a door at some point.

He's suffered no ill effects from being sans tail, beyond a loss of balance when walking along fences, he also jumps at a funny angle...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?