A perfect illustration of the march of technology

Forum Editor 08:40 26 Sep 2009

Twenty years separate Apple's first portable computer and today's iPhone, but looking at them you might think they come from different planets.

click here for an interesting glimpse into the way technology races forward.

Quickbeam 08:56 26 Sep 2009

BBC 4 have been trailing a season of programmes about to start on that subject click here

The Old Mod 08:57 26 Sep 2009

In 1989 I was a lot thinner and weighed a lot less!

Quickbeam 09:01 26 Sep 2009

A young Mod then...?

Quickbeam 09:57 26 Sep 2009

An interesting techie journey click here

Mr Mistoffelees 10:07 26 Sep 2009

"In 1989 I was a lot thinner and weighed a lot less!"

I had the same problem then!!

A few years later, 1986, I got a job working for a firm servicing laptops for Dell Europe. I was only there for eighteen months as the company folded but, the developments I saw in that time really brought home the rapidity of technological progress in computers.

carver 10:23 26 Sep 2009

The way technology is advancing is amazing and I wish I was 30 years younger, the way things have progressed over my lifetime has been wonderful to say the least.

When you look at mobile phones over the past 20 years the difference is even more apparent. I now have a HTC G2 Touch phone and to look at an earlier mobile phone click here or this one click here (don't think thats a proper mobile phone) who would recognise them as the same.

morddwyd 10:41 26 Sep 2009

I can remember saying in the 70s that we were on the verge of an electronic revolution that would just as, if not more, important than the Industrial Revolution, and it's nowhere near over yet.

Forum Editor 10:57 26 Sep 2009

It was a successor to the model reviewed in my link, and I bought it secondhand for an extortionate amount, although I can't remember how much exactly.

The year was 1992, and it was an Apple Powerbook 100. complete with 4Mb of RAM and a 40Mb (yes, that's megabytes) hard drive. It zipped along with its 16MHz processor, and I posed with it at every opportunity.

Seventeen years later I'm using a Netbook that slips into my coat pocket, has 1Gb RAM, a 40Gb hard drive, an Intel atom 1.6GHz processor, wireless adapter, webcam, three USB ports, and a LAN connector. Brand new it costs about a third of what I paid for my second-hand Apple all those years ago.

WhiteTruckMan 11:05 26 Sep 2009

of some technologies in some areas. Mobile phones in their current guise can be made far smaller, yet no one would be able to operate them because the buttons would be too small.

I also remember many years ago having a sinclair small screen (1"?) tv which was barely watchable. They can be made smaller still, but whats the point if you cant see them?

However, the user control interface has much that can still be done, and is currently limited only by designers imagination.

WTM

Mr Mistoffelees 13:55 26 Sep 2009

A few years later, 1986,

That should be 1996.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?