Pension at 80

Toneman 11:30 04 May 2009

Browsing through the Gurkha vote details elsewhere I came across this item by the Government..."further notes that in the year 2000 Gurkha pensions were doubled and that, earlier in April 2009, in addition to an inflationary uplift of 14 per cent., those over 80 years old received a 20 per cent. increase in their pension."
Pensioners in this country can look forward to an extra 25 pence per week when, and if, they reach that age.

Grey Goo 11:34 04 May 2009

How much does the 20% equate to though, as a wise man once said 20% of FA is still FA.

Bingalau 12:58 04 May 2009

This is to do with military service pensions I imagine. As I reach the ripe old age of 80 next birthday I wonder if my military pension will be increased by that amount? Or will I have to make do with the 25p in the normal O.A.Pension?

Toneman 13:17 04 May 2009

As you say, does anyone know what the Gurkhas' 20% increase amounts to? My point is, does the Government really think that 25 pence per week will make a scrap of difference to one's standard of living? Just what is the point of such a measly increase?

Cymro. 15:16 04 May 2009

You say
"A cynic might say that it's to remind you what a good job the government is doing keeping inflation down"

Yes indeed forum member.
People are all too keen to forget what suites them to forget. Inflation is after all just about as low as it has ever been.

Jim Thing 15:54 04 May 2009

Confucius he say "If you can't take a skylark you shouldn't have joined, matey..." :-) But not to worry, Bingalau, don't we also get some sort of increased Winter Fuel Allowance?

"Always look on the bright side of life, te tum, te tumpty tumpty tum"

john bunyan 16:18 04 May 2009

'Just what is the point of such a measly increase?'

My private pension increase is based on the rpi in March, so I got a 0.1% increase this year. No mortgage (these have reduced so form a major part of the rpi figure). My gas, electric , council taxes are all well up and I reckon those of us in our 70's have had a big increase in outgoings - far above the official RPI. Inflation therefore, Cymo, is in the eye of the beholder and for some, not the lowest it has been, by far.

Cymro. 16:32 04 May 2009

So you have no mortgage and a private pension, so are you trying to plead poverty then?

There are plenty that are worse off than you. Is poverty also in the eye of the beholder?

john bunyan 16:43 04 May 2009

No, not at all, i'm not pleading poverty. I have never had a penny in unemployment or any other benifit from the state (except winter fuel allowance) mine was a contribtary pension into which I paid for 40 years. I had two jobs for about 30 of them. There are millions worse off, but this was not the issue. Yes of course poverty is in the eye of the beholder. These days not being able to afford a TV may be considered poor. Believe me in my younger days I certainly knew what poverty was.
All I was pointing out was that if you, for whatever reason, have no mortgage, the inflation varies. Why be so aggressive - is it not prudent to pay off a mortgage and invest in a pension?

Cymro. 16:52 04 May 2009

I apologise for being aggressive,
perhaps it is not so much you that aggravates me but all the people on this forum who never miss a chance to complain about their own misfortune in life when in fact they have little to complain about.

Obviously there is always someone who is worse off then ourselves. I just wish some of us would remember that before they begin their incessant moaning.

Jim Thing 16:54 04 May 2009

There are small private pensions as well as large ones (and some obscenely large ones). Being in receipt of a private pension doesn't automatically equate with the lush life. Like john bunyan I have no mortgage and a private pension. The latter pays me less than £100 per month. Fortunately it's not my only source of income.

You ask: "Is poverty also in the eye of the beholder?"

No sir. Poverty is in the lifestyle of the impoverished.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?