Peace offering

oresome 21:03 23 Sep 2009

Will the PMs offer to reduce our nuclear submarine fleet from 4 to 3 be seen as a genuine offer to reduce our nuclear weapons, or that we can't afford 4?

interzone55 21:09 23 Sep 2009

I think that governments are now realising that nuclear deterrents are now a luxury we can ill afford, especially as they're little deterrent against the people causing the most harm...

Picklefactory 22:42 23 Sep 2009

I'm not sure it is an offer reduce our nuclear weapons. I have only heard mention of reducing the amount of submarines, not the amount of missiles.

Forum Editor 22:45 23 Sep 2009

The reduction from four to three vessels will make virtually no difference in terms of the numbers of nuclear weapons in the world, and the cost saving we'll make will relatively insignificant.

It's not going to happen for ten years in any case.

Bingalau 22:50 23 Sep 2009

I think that any cuts in our armed forces is a mistake. We should be gearing up for the inevitable. Bring back Winston Churchill...

morddwyd 07:42 24 Sep 2009

The offer is to reduce the number of launch vehicles, not the number of warheads.

click here

I think that with some rogue nations now suspected of having nuclear weapons the concept of MAD must start to be relevant again.

Kevscar1 10:38 24 Sep 2009

MAD means nothing to terrorists. If they do set off a nuke do you really think we or America would wipe out a complete nation in a retalitory strike.

morddwyd 11:07 24 Sep 2009

I wasn't referring to terrorists, but rogue nations such as Iran or Libya - Oh, I forgot, Libya is now a centre of excellence for democracy and human rights.

spuds 11:22 24 Sep 2009

I recall reading many years ago, that the total destruction of earth in its present form will be through the actions of a 'third world' country. A country that as always been classed as a poverty stricken nation who "wouldn't dare to blackmail anyone or any of the major powers".

Conspiricy theory perhaps, but still possible!.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?