is PCADVISOR too colourful?

1911 23:54 02 Aug 2005

I know this is an old subject but I have never heard the reason for it. Just look at page30 of the September issue Consumer Watch. Somebody has gone completely mad. White print on yellow background? When you turn to page 30 what a contrast. Black print on white. Why do they insist on using colour so stupidly. Its not Hello Magazine Garden Supplement. Its a COMPUTER mag.
Sack the artistic types and keep colour for the pictures not the printed page.

Snec 03:22 03 Aug 2005

It is evolution I guess.

Future generations will have no trouble as their eyes will have become all "arty" like the people employed by these mags. Mine are struggling however, not just with PCA either. They're all at it.

I've already not renewed my subscription to two mags this year and others will follow I'm afraid. I like to relax when I'm reading, not sit under a 1000w light tenderising my dunder-pate.

jack 14:27 03 Aug 2005

This is covered elsewhere- It is due to poor training by the design team.
The Art colleges never have cottoned on to the practicalities of a print studio- I am speaking of 50 years ago when I worked in such a place the kids came in from college -expecting to jump straignt into
design work without a clue of how to use colour
or of [ Letreset for then example]modern studio techniques and I guess it is the same today,

Stuartli 14:50 03 Aug 2005

I wouldn't agree that it's down to poor training, more a suggestion of trying to make the pages - and therefore magazine - more interesting to thumb through or read.

However, young people who still have perfect eyesight tend to overlook that the wrinklies aren't always blessed with such vision and using coloured fonts on a equally coloured background can make it difficult for them to read text; it's particularly relevant under artificial lighting.

The page or pages' design probably looks fine on a 21in or larger monitor in the editorial department, but given the contrasting limitations of print reproduction proves a drawback.

Forum Editor 17:44 03 Aug 2005

"....down to poor training". With great respect you are hardly qualified to make such an assertive comment if you last worked in a design studio half a century ago. Letraset wasn't invented until 1956, so I hardly think a student leaving college 50 years ago (1955) could be expected to have much knowledge of it.

josie mayhem 19:12 03 Aug 2005

For some readers there is a advantage with coloured backgrounds, but when the fonts are a shade or two lighter or darker than the background any advantage is lost.

There are many people like me, who when reading books, magazines, newspapers ect, which is black fonts on a white background, while you are reading the words start to go walk about, and it becomes very difficult to keep track of your posistion on the page, but putting a of a piece of ascetate coloured in one of the primary colours works wonder pins the words down to the page (different colours work better with different people) but when the fonts are printed in a sililar coulour all advantage dissapear.

jack 20:28 03 Aug 2005

FE
I certainly did not get my diary/history book out
when mentioning Letraset - in a general conversation. It was 1960 I think when the firm I was then with, in an expansion,move vacated, premises in Plough Place Fetter Lane and Letraset moved in.
But all that and oldies failing eyesight has nothing to do with being aware of things like working with type and colour and taking into consideration
the stock the material will be printed on, for example- the item in question would have reproduced much better if PCA had not moved from semi art to newsprint, when colour bleed and fine type fills in.
That is what training is all about

smy13 20:40 03 Aug 2005

you can colour it anyway you want as long as it remains a good read, and i feel i've spent my money well

Pooke 20:49 03 Aug 2005

I'm with smy13, if it's a good read which PCA generally is, you can colour it anyway you like. Just supply some pain killers with it so I can cure the headache I get from the eye strain.

Cheers

PS

Even young ones (22) struggle to read it. Had my eyes checked a few weeks ago, perfect sight!

Forum Editor 23:23 03 Aug 2005

Did you ever call in at the pub called the Printers Devil in Fetter Lane? If you did we probably rubbed shoulders.

jack 08:30 04 Aug 2005

Printers Devil!
I remember the first day!
Knew most of the others too
Did you also go to the little Italian greasy spoon
on the same side just plast plough place - Lunch Baby head and two -1/6p a sweet 6p - those were that days.................
For the sprogs - baby's head = individual steak and kidney pudding and 'two' - 2 veg of course

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?