The PCA Forum, Quid Pro Quo?

g40 16:23 26 Feb 2006

Looking at my postings over the last 2 years i wondered if i had taken innordinately without giving much in return.
Looking closer i have the following score which is an honest approximation: ( im not so boring that i could sit and count then divide into categories)
Asked Advice - 70%
Offered Advice - 30%
So does "Asked" 70% and "Offered" 30% a bad score, should i be more considerate.
And of course, how do you compare?

pc_sausage 16:30 26 Feb 2006

I'm relatively new to the forum and (probably like many) I first registered for help / advice.

However, I regularly check the forum to see if there is anything I believe I can offer help or advice on, to sort of pay back the help I get in a roundabout way.

I'd like to offer more help, but there are lots of things outside my area of expertise. Or sometimes you come across a question you can help with, but someone's beaten you to the answer.

I think as long as you at least try to contribute, then %'s shouldn't matter.

g40 16:34 26 Feb 2006

Also there are other extenuating factors such as when we maybe post about a device update or offer news of some worth, i tried to negate them and look at the help/advice ratio as it were, but i think this is a big subject worthy of some discussion as it the sole reason that we all come back again, that and perhaps a degree of affinity with other mebers, but thats getting all to deep and off the original point.

anskyber 17:22 26 Feb 2006

I hope Vog and a few others do not do the calculation, we would all be shamed!! No the Forum is intended to act in a dynamic way and the % is to some degree immaterial, we are here to learn and help if we can; the test is are the "members" happy? This is an excellent site which is very well run (not by good luck) and in time we all may have a chance to help others. Be positive !! Vog has not cornered the market!!

ade.h 17:39 26 Feb 2006

I got as far as working out that I have a total of 1000 (25 pages, 40 per page) threads in My Postings.

There's no way that I'm going to go through all that searching for the questions that I asked, but I would have a stab in the dark and say about two dozen or so. Not including discussions that I've started and info that I've posted.

It's almost impossible to work out!

spuds 17:56 26 Feb 2006

Checking over my postings and registration to the PCA forum goe's back to 2001. I hope that I have given as much as I have taken from the forum, in that time, and if so, I will be fairly satisfied.

Forum Editor 18:06 26 Feb 2006

that of all the registered active members only a small percentage provide help and advice on a regular basis.

There's nothing wrong with that, it's the same for all help forums on the web, and has been the case ever since I first became involved in the online forum business, some eight years ago now.

The important thing is that people realise it's not necessary to give help, or offer advice - nobody keeps a running total of your activities in this respect. We want our forum members to understand that this is a place you come to for help.....if you want to offer some, that's your affair, but it's not at all necessary.

bremner 18:07 26 Feb 2006

The forum has nothing to do with quid pro quo. It is about sharing experience and knowledge.

If you have been here a while is is certain you answer much more than you ask. If you are new to computing then you will ask more than you answer. then at some time in the futuer the scales will swing in the other direction.

€dstowe 18:18 26 Feb 2006

"It is about sharing experience and knowledge."

That's right.

It's rare for me to ask things on here but I pick up an awful lot of information just by reading other people's threads.

I hope that I give help and useful advice in return.

Forum Editor 18:31 26 Feb 2006

You do, and you've highlighted an important aspect of forum membership - that just be reading the threads you can pick up valuable information, some of which may help you to resolve future problems of your own, without having to seek help via your own thread.

tasslehoff burrfoot 20:10 26 Feb 2006

ever since I first saw Silence of the Lambs.

What does "quid pro quo" mean?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone