PC prices

rdave13 22:03 02 Dec 2006

Can't get my head around how cheap desktop PC's are now. Dell will sell you one for about £366 with dvd writer, 1gb ram, 17" monitor and 80 GB Harddrive. Also you get a floppy, keyboard and mouse. Free delivery and VAT is included.

Buy an average GPS system for the car and you'll get stung for about the same price. Why though?

Forum Editor 22:07 02 Dec 2006

Because satellites cost a very great deal of money to build, launch, and run. Cheap PCs are assembled rapidly from readily-available components that are relatively inexpensive, and they don't need to look at half a dozen satellites every 30 seconds or so.

De Marcus™ 22:11 02 Dec 2006

Economies of scale

Competition

Lacklustre support (in some cases)

Memory prices have been slashed over the years

Intel processors are now very competitive (compared to how they used to be)

Many, many more reasons.

rdave13 22:43 02 Dec 2006

So a GPS car system has on average a 3.5" LCD TFT display, an SD card, a GPS chipset, a few MB of ram and a CPU. Not forgetting the rechargeable battery, sometimes bluetooth, and plastic stand.
Still seems expensive for what you get.

mymate 23:04 02 Dec 2006

I just bought a new computer from Dell "outlet" 1gb of ram,250 gb hard disc. I only bought the tower as i have a flat screen monitor.Ordered it sunday got delivered thursday.The postage was a whacking £50 !! all together it came to £342.My old computer <Packard Bell>motherboard blew up and i paid over £800 for that 4 years ago,and it only had 250gb ram,and 80 gb hard drive.
Oh and my new one has the windows xp disc as well !

Forum Editor 23:49 02 Dec 2006

You seem to have missed my point.

If you had paid a king's ransom to build a satellite, and then to launch it into a geostationary orbit you might want to recover the cost and make a profit. You would do that by charging the makers of SatNav equipment a bucket of money to access your satellite and get updated fixes at regular intervals. In turn the SatNav compnay wants to make a profit, so they recover their substatial costs from you and I, when we buy the "3.5" LCD TFT display, an SD card, a GPS chipset, a few MB of ram and a CPU. Not forgetting the rechargeable battery, sometimes bluetooth, and plastic stand."

Vangeliska 00:07 03 Dec 2006

Just wondering, are the satellite signals which are beamed down to SatNav units encrypted (as Sky Broadcasts are) so that a fee is payable to decrypt them?

irishrapter 00:07 03 Dec 2006

Is the GPS system not owned, operated, and controlled by the United States Department of Defense???

As far as I know they don't and can not charge for it.

rdave13 00:26 03 Dec 2006

LOL. I can see your point. So I have a satelite dish on my property and the signal is decoded by a Sky box. I don't subscribe to sky but have freeview. So some part of my BBC licence goes to fund these geostationary orbit satellites then?

Vangeliska 00:30 03 Dec 2006

I do believe that you are right!
No fees payable by TomTom et al.

oresome 11:18 03 Dec 2006

In 10 years and they'll be giving them away in cornflake packets.

New technology always comes at a price.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?