PC builder forum?

DrScott 11:44 07 Nov 2005

Following on from wolfie's message, what do people think about a PC builders forum? I notice a huge number of questions about building PCs and what components to get in the helprooms, and wonder if there is now a calling for a separate place?

I usually end up directing people to click here but would it be nice to have our own little haven?

i.tech 16:41 07 Nov 2005

I agree - I think a pc builders forum would make accessing information specific to this topic much easier.

ventanas 16:50 07 Nov 2005

I can't really see the point now, it's too expensive. You can buy much cheaper off the shelf, or have configured to order. Its going to set you back £250 or more for a retail copy of XP Pro now the OEM's have been barred.

Forum Editor 17:02 07 Nov 2005

Building your own machine is certainly rewarding, but it's no longer the answer if cost-saving is your sole motivation. I doubt that a dedicated forum would be a success - once the initial flurry of interest had died down.

As I've mentioned elsewhere, we're going to take a breather for a while now, and let the forum settle - at least until the new year - before considering any further changes. Thanks for your idea however, it will stay in our 'for consideration' list, and you never know; it's a brave person who says 'never' to any suggestion.

DrScott 18:58 07 Nov 2005

FE for putting it the 'consideration' list. For me building is not cheaper, though not nec that much more expensive. Furthermore, you do have a better idea of the quality of components and a better clue on how they all fit together. Plus for the ultra geeky of us, the chance to build a water cooled system!

I thought the OEM license could still be bought for a completely new machine?

Anway, I thought I'd make the suggestion since I've often found myself answering 'build' questions. Thank you for the consideration.

Forum Editor 19:06 07 Nov 2005

at Microsoft about OEM licenses in a couple of days time. After that I should have the low-down on the current official situation, and you'll be the first to know here, in the forum. Check my blog on Thursday for an update.

wolfie3000 18:14 08 Nov 2005

Following on from wolfie's message, what do people think about a PC builders forum?

Do you mean me as i didnt say that i wanted a games forum sorry if it wasnt in referance to me or i did make the suggestion and forgot.

My memories terrible.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?