A PC That Boots In Seconds

Mark5001 10:47 01 Oct 2010

click here

An update to the old BIOS is on the cards it seems.

birdface 10:56 01 Oct 2010

Very nice.
I wonder if it will close down just as quick.

jtt 12:45 01 Oct 2010

"At the moment it can be 25-30 seconds of boot time before you see the first bit of OS sign-on,"

Well I've never seen a PC take that long (assuming that there isn't a problem with the OS, which might result in it not showing any signs of life on the display until quite a bit after BIOS completes and the OS starts to load). On a newly installed OS, the worst I've ever seen is 15 seconds on a very old Pentium III laptop. If you enable full checking of memory during BIOS, it can be very long, but most BIOS' that I've seen don't by default. Just to be clear, the time that the article is referring to is from power-on to some sign that the OS is loading, ie not to time to get to the desktop. Sometimes it can be as quick as 5 seconds.

OTT_B 13:39 01 Oct 2010

"Just to be clear, the time that the article is referring to is from power-on to some sign that the OS is loading"

I had a different interpretation. I thought it was referring to the time taken from hitting the power button to reaching a sign on screen.

MS reckon that a fast boot time for a PC is 15 seconds - but that is the time from the end of POST (i.e. when the OS starts loading) to sign on screen.

finerty 21:20 01 Oct 2010

what about GRUB

to be a problem. Mine takes about 5 seconds before Windows begins to load.

I think the headline the BBC have chosen is very misleading. As others have stated, the boot time of Windows itself will remain the same.

wee eddie 16:13 03 Oct 2010

Not the PC, the software.

One of our past members whose knowledge is sorely missed.

wee eddie 16:14 03 Oct 2010

Not the PC ~ The OS.

Legolas 21:11 04 Oct 2010

I remember it well I could never quite get to grips with it, just didn't have fleccs knowhow

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: UAL Central Saint Martins

MacBook Pro 15-inch (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?