payrise bandwagon

sunny staines 17:26 18 Jun 2008

will everyone now be pushing for pay rises in relation to the unofficial inflation figures. or sticking to 2-3 % pay rises.

i see a lot of trouble and strikes ahead, which is only going to fuel inflation in the long term.

just shows how the nurses and police were walked over, but the tanker drivers were in a stronger position to get a good settlement.

if we had true inflation figures for which pay settlements were linked it may ease the problem.

whats your views?

Cymro. 17:35 18 Jun 2008

My view is that if all trade unions were as strong as the one who represented the tanker drivers then the nurses and the police that you seem to worry so much about would get the better wages that they deserve.

As for true inflation figures and pay settlements being linked, that is just what many people want but you then get the situation of pay settlements chasing after price rises that only leads to even more inflation.

peter99co 17:40 18 Jun 2008

It was 26%

Cymro. 17:44 18 Jun 2008

It seems to make little difference who is in power as the nurses never get a good pay deal and the police were only looked after by the Tory government because Mrs Thatcher knew she would need them on her side when it came to a miners strike.

newman35 18:29 18 Jun 2008

are now open, and any union with a particular way of hurting the economy will (quite rightly) jump on the same bandwagon as these greedy tanker drivers.
£41k to drive a lorry? And before the cries of "Dangerous load", when was the last time you heard of a tanker fire/explosion/driver injured???
It's not exactly a daily occurence.

Unadulterated greed, in a bid to cripple the economy for the rest of us.

Stuartli 18:37 18 Jun 2008

>>if we had true inflation figures for which pay settlements were linked it may ease the problem>>

It would make the situation even worse.

>>and the police were only looked after by the Tory government because Mrs Thatcher knew she would need them on her side when it came to a miners strike.>>

Complete nonsense.

>>And look who was in power when it was 26%>>

Actually it peaked at 26.9 per cent in 1976; Labour later faced the Winter of Discontent, but what really angered the electorate was Jim Callaghan asking "Crisis, what crisis?" whilst disembarking from an aircraft.

Mr Mistoffelees 18:49 18 Jun 2008

to have an annual pay-rise. This is my third year of none.

peter99co 18:50 18 Jun 2008

"Nurses and the police that you seem to worry so much about would get the better wages that they deserve."

At least they don't strike and who say's they do not deserve their wages.

The crooks in this country would have a field day If they did strike and a lot of nurses are not are not just in it for the money.

Unions have a lot to answer for when they walk all over common sense and take advantage of an already difficult situation.

Did anybody expect them to back down. I am suprised they where not replaced by the military and told to find alternative employment.

This government do not have the bottle to take on the unions so this is the end result. More costs to add to our fuel bills to pay for a pressure group to big for their boots.

anskyber 19:18 18 Jun 2008

Let us hope that the unions will get short shrift.

Whilst those who live in the past and cannot look to the future get stressed over what happened 32 years ago (counselling required I think)it's clear that wage/price inflation is the last thing we need.

I find it very strange that this sense of celebration which is reflected in some comments here is more about political myopia than concern about the economic health of our country. To "celebrate" the economic challenges which we face is perverse.

Pine Man 19:33 18 Jun 2008

'the police were only looked after by the Tory government because Mrs Thatcher knew she would need them on her side when it came to a miners strike.'

Absoloute rubbish!!

The police pay rise came as a result of the Edmund Davies enquiry set up by the LABOUR government. True to form they refused to pay the full award (funny how history repeats itself) and it was only when the tories got into power that the remainder of the award was paid.

Make sure of your facts before posting.

peter99co 20:04 18 Jun 2008

Tell me how good I am and I will keep quiet.

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone