Is PayPal a waste of time?

dth 17:21 22 Nov 2005

I don't use ebay or paypal but the mrs is keen to set up an account.

Is paypal worthwhile? I only ask as I am forever reading stories of problems and missing monies - with no real response from paypal.

Many thanks

pj123 17:53 22 Nov 2005

Personally, I wouldn't set up an account with Paypal.

I don't have an Ebay or Paypal account but my partner has an account with Ebay but not with Paypal. She has not had any problems paying for items bought using a normal cheque. OK, so you have to wait a few days for the cheque to clear, so what?

g0slp 18:00 22 Nov 2005

I've just lost £15 out of a £18.03 PayPal payment that didn't result in any goods being sent, so I've lost confidence in it at present.

Tim1964 18:01 22 Nov 2005

We have used Paypal with eBay (they actually own Paypal) for at least 2 years with no problems whatsoever.

The advantages of being able to pay instantly for items won is the positive feedback one receives by relieving the seller of the 'hassle' of processing checks as well as the (limited) protection Paypal provides in any dispute with the seller.

anskyber 19:05 22 Nov 2005

Tim1964
My view too. Its a bit of a mixed blessing I think but does offer some general trding advantages.

anskyber 19:05 22 Nov 2005

trading!

Mr Mistoffelees 19:27 22 Nov 2005

"I am forever reading stories of problems and missing monies - with no real response from paypal."

It should be remembered that those cases represent only a very tiny minority with the vast majority of transactions problem free.

I have used Paypal, and eBay, for more than three years without a hitch, and so has my partner.

g0slp 20:18 22 Nov 2005

Up until last month I would have agreed with Mr Mistoffelees, & I've been using eBay/PayPal for about 3 years too; also without any problems. Over 100 feedbacks recorded on my profile; & many further purchases from sellers so no further feedback numbers come up.

HOWEVER, when you DO get scammed, it does leave a rather sour taste in the mouth...

What's the solution? I do think that there is a general reluctance by eBay & PayPal (who are owned by eBay now, of course) to help. Given the charges made by these organisations, this is, I feel, something that should be looked by an accredited body such as the FSA.

ade.h 22:32 22 Nov 2005

I'm considering selling some unwanted PC parts on eBay soon, but I haven't looked into the details yet. I'm a bit wary of it all, to be honest, but I feel like I'm one of the last few humans left on the planet who have never used eBay!

Dan the Doctus 23:18 22 Nov 2005

Fear not - I've never used eBay either.

spuds 23:31 22 Nov 2005

I do a number of transactions via PayPal,and they have put me in a fix more than once. Last weekend was a typical disaster, when I made bids for items but the system was down and I could not pay for the goods.People tend to get very suspicious when you promise payment, and the payment was unable gone through.Calls to their 0870, at times very busy call centre, do not always resolve the issues.

When you open a new account, some of their security procedures can seem well over the top, and can lead to confusion.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

HP’s new Surface Pro rival is designed specifically for Adobe-using designers and artists

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?