PayPal Scam

Gaz W 23:53 17 Jul 2004

I was very nearly the victim of what looks like another PayPal scam. However, I was able to spot it, but I thought I'd post it on here anyway...

I received an email that said it was from [email protected], containing a link to what was supposed to be PayPal's site. I noticed that it was obviously some sort of script that was putting click here in the address bar, as IE behaved differently and any IE windows I opened had that address in them.

The real site I was taken to was click here (well it was a subfolder of this, but it obviously isn't PayPal).

Anyway I entered a false password and it logged me in, so that's how I know it was a fake.

Just to be on the safe side, I have changed my password to something different.

When I did, the confirmation of this change was received from [email protected], which makes sense since I'm in the UK using PayPal UK!!!

Anyway, here's the email I got:

"Due to concerns, for the safety and integrity of your PayPal account we have issued this warning message.
It has come to our attention that your account information needs to be updated due to inactive members, frauds and spoof reports.If you could please take 5-10 minutes out of your online experience and renew your records. You will not run into any future problems with the online service. However, failure to update your records will result in account suspension.

Once you have updated your account records, your PayPal account service will not be interrupted and will continue as normal. Please follow the link below, login to your account and renew your account information: "

So if you receive this, I think it's a fake. In future I'm going to view the source of every HTML email I get.

€dstowe 06:19 19 Jul 2004

I've had similar from Paypal and from eBay.

I know they are fake as I have never had any dealings with either of them.

A couple of weeks ago I had an urgent email from Bank America telling me there were problems with my account and to complete the attached form - - etc. I bank with Lloyds TSB, not Bank America and, as explained in another thread here, don't trust online banking.

€d

Gaz W 02:55 20 Jul 2004

I think I posted this in the wrong forum but never mind...

Just thought I'd report another incident I had a couple of weeks ago, which I had heard of...

I received a letter through the post about a domain name I own. The letter was from a company called "The Domain Registrar Company" or something like that. I knew it was a fake because it's a .com name registered with 1&1 Internet, and at no point would "The Domain Registrar Company" be involved.

If I remember rightly they wanted a cheque for £60, so it's lucky I knew it was a fake!

Dorsai 18:29 21 Jul 2004

It's one of the oldest scams in the book.

The idea is to send a company a bill for somthing, somthing they havn't actually had.

If the accounts department aren't on the ball, are having an off day etc, they then post you a cheque back. Then you send them what they have paid for. Somewhere in the small print (on the back) it probably says 'this is not an invoice, this is an order', or words to that effect, even thought on the front of the letter it says 'invoice'..

they send you a cheque for £200, and you post back the light bulb they have just ordered, and paid for in advance.

It's like the junk mail you get that includes what looks like a cheque for £20,000, but when you look closly says 'this is what the cheque will look like IF you win the prize'.

Screw it up, and put in the permenant file.

Gaz W 19:24 21 Jul 2004

I filed it carefully away in the wheelie bin.

The thing is, they must have access to my domain name information somehow - my site isn't on a search engine and as far as I know 1&1 Internet are aware of scams going on like this so they are hardly going to pass on my information that way.

They would have had to randomly select my domain name and find my details using a site like click here.

Or am I missing something? It's just that I can't think of another way they would get my information!

Dorsai 19:58 21 Jul 2004
  Dorsai 20:01 21 Jul 2004

that comes up as a link...Never suspected that.

Someone else has thought of it.

;-)

Pesala 23:18 21 Jul 2004
  Pesala 23:22 21 Jul 2004
  Pesala 23:23 21 Jul 2004
  Gaz W 00:25 22 Jul 2004

The link doesn't seem to work any more, but it isn't just the email one. I know which one you mean though.

It actually appeared to be a script that put "click here" followed by a load of characters, and whenever I loaded a new browser window it put that in the address bar instead of any sites I visited.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?