PayPal made to pay

jakimo 00:01 04 Mar 2006

This shows Paypal can be held responsible for their actions:

click here

Forum Editor 08:25 04 Mar 2006

it was a dishonest buyer who was responsible for the problem, and the dishonest buyer who was taken to court, and the dishonest buyer who eventually paid up just before the hearing.

PayPal was not "made to pay" anything because they weren't the ones being taken to court. I'm not trying to be an apologist for PayPal here - just pointing out the correct facts. Let's try to keep thread titles accurate, shall we?

anskyber 10:41 04 Mar 2006

And the "but" must have a caveat. There is a worry about how PayPal and ebay exercise judgements and I suppose that it what jakimo could have been thinking here. The caveat must be the inevitable conclusion that "errors" of judgement are bound to happen when there are so many transactions world-wide the majority of which I assume must go smoothly.
Your response (FE) to the other thread on ebay fraud sums it up perfectly for me and it sits around the old phrase of "caveat emptor" (spelling?)

Forum Editor 10:55 04 Mar 2006

Your spelling is impeccable as far as caveat emptor is concerned, and you're right; of course errors will occur with regard to resolving disputes. It will happen because that's where a human being enters the process - a decision has to be made, and not every decision is going to be 'right'.

When two people are in dispute and a third person is arbitrating the result is often going to produce one unhappy person, that's what often (but not always) happens in dispute resolution - there's a winner and a loser.

It's a fact of life that many of the people who use Ebay will have dishonesty as part of their makeup, and many will have ignorance/naivety/greed as part of theirs. Put one from each of those groups into a transaction and you have a self-fulfilling prophesy on your hands.

spuds 12:15 04 Mar 2006

Having been in the boxing ring on more than one occasion with PayPal and their methods of doing things, comes as no surprise as to the outcome of the case in mention.

Of all the problems that I have uncovered with my PayPal transactions and disputes, I can only consider that PayPal are a top rate company in doing straight forward transfer of funds.But when things start to go pear shape, then a simple task of communication can get very frustrating.Email responses seem to be automated, and do not actually give the answer to the question raised, Usually the response email is a referral to a question and answer page, which actually didn't provide the answer in the first place, hence the email to PayPal asking for further advice.Then we get the "can't tell you" replies, due to privacy laws (whose!) and the Data Protection Act (PayPal seem a little vague on workings of that!).

I have dealt with a fair number of people over the last six months or more, and some of the stories that come to light, can be very concerning as to the methods that are used by PayPal.Simple matters, that a very straight forward investigation could have resolved, seem to lead to ever increasing cases like first highlighted by jakimo.In the case above,it is typical event that someone wants to change one dispute claim into another part of the same dispute claim, but was unable to do so, in a simple manner, due to PayPal and eBays procedures.This eventually leads to the 'customer' having to go it alone, to perhaps solve a problem, not of their making.

PayPal do refer you to the Financial Ombudsman Service, if you wish to pursue matters on the way you think PayPal have acted on the financial side. But like all establishments of this type, the end result may not provide the final answer or outcome to the problem.

jakimo 12:57 04 Mar 2006

anskyber has summed up the meaning of my thread,the "made to pay" term did not refer to currency,but to the publicity their actions incurred by the way they support, or the lack of it towards a fee paying customer

Forum Editor 12:59 04 Mar 2006

Aaahhh, I see. And there was I, taking it literally.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?