Paxman knocks the stuffing out of TV

TopCat® 12:54 25 Aug 2007

including the BBC. Jeremy believes that a wide ranging review of management and broadcasting policies in this country is required. Does anyone here agree with him?

You can hear him arguing his case on this interview on Radio Four: click here TC.

€dstowe 13:08 25 Aug 2007

Interesting viewpoint but he should take heed of the old saying:

"Don't bite the hand that feeds you."

Forum Editor 13:28 25 Aug 2007

Celebrity Big Brother is being ditched. Now there's a step in the right direction.

The fact that there's so much dross on TV says as much about the viewing audience as it does about the programme planners and makers.

Demand quality, and quality you will get. Tolerate dross, and you will get dross. It's pretty simple, really. There was a time when the BBC showed its audience the way; now it seems to be following the trend for instant gratification - transmitting stuff that requires no more than two or three brain cells to fire at the same time in order to be understood.

That's because a large section of the viewing public don't want to have to bother to fire more than two or three - it gets in the way of other, more important things, like feeding the tropical fish, and planning the next tattoo..

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:57 25 Aug 2007

Someone once said

"you get the television you deserve"

My TV broke three weeks ago, I haven't yet bothered to replace it.

I will go to the pub tomorrow to watch the GP.

Belatucadrus 14:17 25 Aug 2007

The thing that amazes me is the never-ending cycle of lousy repeats on the BBC digital channels, you'd have thought the Beebs archives would have something good in them.

€dstowe 14:20 25 Aug 2007

I very rarely watch broadcast television.

Occasionally I will have it switched on for The Weakest Link if I'm as home but I don't avidly watch it, it's just something in the background. I usually watch Channel 4 news but that is becoming more and more infantilised, patronising and sensationalist that I'm thinking my days of watching that are coming to an end.

Other than that, there is very little of the current output that I bother with.

What I do watch are TV series from the past - old Taggarts with Mike McManus, Dalgliesh, Raffles are some DVD's I've rented recently and I have a very large collection of films and musical works on DVD.

There is a definite need for a huge cull of TV output but as FE says "The fact that there's so much dross on TV says as much about the viewing audience as it does about the programme planners and makers."

DrScott 14:40 25 Aug 2007

and it's hard surprising. People will usually tolerate what's put in front of them, but I think reality TV fatigue is starting to set in. The TV companies need to take the initiative again rather than just responding to perceived viewing figures.

TopCat® 15:25 25 Aug 2007

is on offer is, on the main, an insult to the intelligence. Occasionally there is something good on the box but alas much too infrequent, in my opinion.

I don't suppose Jeremy Paxman is that much concerned over his tenure at the BBC. He may even be contemplating a move to other things anyway, but I do admire him for having the courage to voice his concerns in a way that others in the industry tend to keep quiet about.

Speaking out as he has in his hour long lecture will, we hope, have caught the attention of the upper layers of media management and force them to act to the benefit of the viewing and listening public.

We will have to see if these latest reverberations running around the industry finally do some good. I only hope we don't have to wait too long, though. TC.

Stuartli 16:19 25 Aug 2007

>>I'd heard radio audiences were on the increase>>

That's been happening consistently for many, many years.

Legolas 18:20 25 Aug 2007

"two or three brain cells" your being a bit generous there ;-)I normally watch the doc channels or the history channels I have never watched BB don't get me wrong I have tried just to see what all the hype was about but after a couple of minutes brain rot had began to set in and I had to change channel.

Kate B 19:06 25 Aug 2007

I was on the World Service at lunchtime talking about Paxman's point on rolling news with a senior person from Al Jazeera and the media editor of Asharq Al-Awsat newspaper (he's in London, the other bloke was in Doha). We had a really interesting 10 minutes or so discussing whether rolling news is useful or if it's too dependent on raw events and whether the bulletin is a format that will be phased out - the general consensus was no, it will survive. Bit of a pet subject of mine click here so it was nice to have a chance to rant about it to the world!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone