Parkinson's Law.. ... required reading?

Diemmess 16:04 01 May 2007

Politics, lifestyle, or even buying and using computers.

"Parkinson's Law or the Pursuit of Progress" (published 1957) has so many truths among its chapters.

To mess about with a little with his words -

Rubbish expands so as to fill the space cleared for it.

Or

Quick computers slow down rapidly as the loving owner becomes used to their speed.

Cost effectivness -
click here
Novatech have re-jigged their current website today and of course are offering more for less, so to speak.
To slip in a quickie:
Is there a worthwhile difference to be gained from fitting dual channel memory, when this will mean upgrading the motherboard as well?

Jak_1 16:21 01 May 2007

"Parkinson's Law" could be more generalized still as: "The demand upon a resource always expands to match the supply of the resource."

Source: Wikipedia.

Jim Thing 17:02 01 May 2007

...was also widely known (and equally true) at about the same time. Roughly paraphrased, it said that, in any hierarchical organisation, competent people tend to get promoted until they reach a level at which they are incompetent. There they stay.

Diemmess 11:22 02 May 2007

This'll teach me to post a confused thread!
I was trying to decide details of a new PC for myself rather than family, and dual channel memory seems to be an indulgence, but if I want to have the last bit of speed out of a suitable configuration......!

Jak_1's generalisation is easily pinned to computer hardware.

Jim Thing is particularly apt when applied to many of our Westminster/Whitehall masters. Polling day tomorrow, and nothing will happen which cannot be related to Parkinson's little book.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Adobe shows still-in-development tools, including automatically colourising black-and-white photos

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?